I've Got it Wrong it Seems

Boots_ said:
Football managers tend to surround themselves with familiar faces.

Joe Royle had Willie Donachie as assistant, Jobson on the playing staff, Paul Power and Asa Hartford at reserve and youth level and Frankie Bunn at the academy. They were all ex-colleagues. Jim Cassell may have also been an ex-colleague. Royle was not responsible for bringing them all to the club but they were all known to him or "old pals" as it is usually described on here. It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad appointments.

Football is fairly unique in that the team manager, rather the employer, decides on the appointment of many staff members. It's always been this way and always will. Hence, familiar faces will always be amongst the appointments. But don't kid yourself that Hughes is the only manager who does it.

I would have to say that least Royle had staff that virtually all held the club close to their hearts in one way or another.

Cheltblue said:
Boots_ said:
Football managers tend to surround themselves with familiar faces.

Joe Royle had Willie Donachie as assistant, Jobson on the playing staff, Paul Power and Asa Hartford at reserve and youth level and Frankie Bunn at the academy. They were all ex-colleagues. Jim Cassell may have also been an ex-colleague. Royle was not responsible for bringing them all to the club but they were all known to him or "old pals" as it is usually described on here. It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad appointments.

Football is fairly unique in that the team manager, rather the employer, decides on the appointment of many staff members. It's always been this way and always will. Hence, familiar faces will always be amongst the appointments. But don't kid yourself that Hughes is the only manager who does it.

I would have to say that least Royle had staff that virtually all held the club close to their hearts in one way or another.

They did but that is irrelevant in determining both their competence and suitability for the role in which they were employed. They were old pals just like some of Hughes' appointments.

Boots_ said:
Cheltblue said:

They did but that is irrelevant in determining both their competence and suitability for the role in which they were employed. They were old pals just like some of Hughes' appointments.

I don't want to turn this into a "Save Jim Cassell" thread but was he not the best man for the job? Has he been replaced by someone more suited and with a better CV for that role?

m27 said:
Boots_ said:

I don't want to turn this into a "Save Jim Cassell" thread but was he not the best man for the job? Has he been replaced by someone more suited and with a better CV for that role?

I think you may be misinterpreting what I'm saying. I think Cassell was the best man for the job when appointed. The fact that somebody appointed is an "old pal" does not automatically mean that they are not qualified or suitable for a particular role.

Boots_ said:
m27 said:

I think you may be misinterpreting what I'm saying. I think Cassell was the best man for the job when appointed. The fact that somebody appointed is an "old pal" does not automatically mean that they are not qualified or suitable for a particular role.

I understand and I don't disagree with you in principle. The big question is, does Hughes think such a person is the best man for the job or does he simply want his own man in because he knows he will back him to the hilt? Only Hughes can answer that truthfully.

m27 said:
Boots_ said:

I understand and I don't disagree with you in principle. The big question is, does Hughes think such a person is the best man for the job or does he simply want his own man in because he knows he will back him to the hilt? Only Hughes can answer that truthfully.

Exactly.

Blackfriars 420 said:
I've never posted on the forum before but Saturday exposed the manager so badly i feel compelled to comment.

I've tried to remain supportive of Hughes and i will continue to do so until May and then he must be replaced by a quality foreign tactician. (Hiddink, Jose etc)

The fact is that football teams display an attitude that is instilled from the top, when Mourinho's Chelsea used to take the lead, they clung onto it for their lives. That is the manager's blue print on the team. On the contrary, after clawing ourselves back into our game, our manager decides to defend a lead with 5 attacking players left on the pitch. After Chelsea scored yesterday, Ancellotti then removed Drogba and Anelka and replaced with a midfielder and a defender. We didnt really know what to do when we got in the lead, same can be said for Fulham or United, he cant instill tactical discipline in our play.

Had De Jong been tracking Macdonald, not Ireland we might have had 3 points.

Mark Hughes has on the whole signed good players for us, which in the future a better manager will be able to deploy to greater success. He has all the aces but has no idea how to deploy them which is proven by the Tevez/ 4 4 2 fiasco. I couldnt believe my eyes as Burnley out passed us with an extra man in midfield for 45 minutes. The 4 3 3 has served us so well in the past year at home and he's ripped it up to accomodate Tevez and others and its killing us, not just result wise but performance wise. Last year, we played much better football at home with Elano, Ireland space to operate in, the ball kept in the deck. now there is no link between midfield and forward because he's sold Elano and playing Ireland on the halfway line (when he does play), Stephen Ireland cannot play in a 4 4 2. Granted we miss Robinho.

The manager loves quick, direct play (Blackburn) but this is no way to make best of our squad. Adebayor is not a lump it up to him targetman, Hughes is totally wasting him by setting out a team which is not giving him any service in behind or to his feet. Craig Bellamy is not a left midfielder in a 4. if you're going to play 4 4 2 directly, then he's made to play off Manu, but he couldnt do that coz he wont drop tevez, and of course he cant drop his mate Craig so then wastes him on the left.

That is awful management.

Lescott is a huge concern, he's positionally play and awareness of players around him is appalling, he didnt even see Macdonald coming past him for the 3rd goal. obviously Hughes wont/cant drop him but Nedum is far more solid than him.

We have a squad that should see top 4 as a realistic goal, we are playing nowhere near that level under this manager. He is in over his head.

You should post more often mate! Although I've yet to reach the stage you're at where you see Hughes's dismissal nailed on in the Summer, that does not mean I don't agree wholeheartedly with your construcive criticism of the players and tactics.

The first 45 minutes were unbelievable, we were played off the fucking park!

Some of the appointments by Hughes have been ridiculous. How he has been given the authority to flood the club with so many cronies must ask serious questions of our chief exec.

Ian Rush is even on the payroll as world wide scout. This is the same Ian Rush that needs a sat nav to get his way out of Liverpool.

When he gets the bullet next summer, the biggest ever pay off in the history of football will take place as 50 people are emptied out of the club.

Hughes is simply not good enough. We have had probably the easiest start to a season ever. The league is not a true reflection at the moment. Lets see where we are after 19 games ( 1/2 a season ). I would hazard a guess we will be 8th or 9th, which is just about what you get with Hughes.

You only have to watch his press conferences. Constant nervous intakes of breath, scratching of ears etc. The guy simply not up to it.

I have heard so many many negative strories about Hughes. I wanted to give him the benefit of 12 months - but the last month has been shocking.

The chickens will come home to roost in the next few weeks with games against Arsenal Liverpool and Chelsea on the horizon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.