Jack Charlton doc bbc

I must watch this on catch up. Big Jack did his own thing and didn't care who he upset in the process. The Irish loved him and he made them into a formidable outfit. I remember booing him as a kid at Maine Road when he stood in front of our keeper at corner kicks. I loved the interview when he caused a furore after saying he had a little black book of players he was going to do before he retired. Rest in peace big man
Im not even Irish and its still one of the best Sporting Documentaries I’ve seen. Everyone should watch it. Some of the footage from 88, 90 and 94 was great. His family come across really well. The sing a long after the Italy defeat and the bits on Mcgrath cut deep. Bert Millichip’s telling the guy from the Irish FA they’d made a huge mistake giving him the job and his reaction to the FA suits after they beat England in Stuttgart. Wont ruin it anymore but well worth a watch.

I’ve just watched it very moving,what a brilliant bloke he was,the way he helped paul McGrath absolute legend.

A very fine documentary about a fine man. His football was very very different to Peps but his man management and leadership qualities really shone through. A brilliant raconteur. If I remember correctly he owned one of the pubs on lower baggot street in Dublin ( hope I got that right). Had some happy times in there.

It was bad how that Irish journalist Eamon Dunphy was treated though, he was made a hate figure because he dared to question their style of football. He was right though, that Irish team had some world class talent, but their main objective was to do better than England, and make sure that everybody liked them and knew that they could have a party.

That journalists views were not too dissimilar to Roy Keane's at the World Cup in 2002, as much as I despise Keane, I understand how annoyed he must have been with the amateur set up at Ireland compared with united

I was at a corporate after dinner type event at a Ford dealership in Oldham sometime in the late 80's. Jack was one of the sporting speakers and he came across as down to earth, funny and knowledgeable. He stayed when the other two or three sporting celebrities had left, puffing on a cigar and stood chatting in small groups to those that wanted a chat. I distinctly remember him giving the impression that "our Bobby" was a great footballer but not necessarily a great person.

It was bad how that Irish journalist Eamon Dunphy was treated though, he was made a hate figure because he dared to question their style of football. He was right though, that Irish team had some world class talent, but their main objective was to do better than England, and make sure that everybody liked them and knew that they could have a party.

That journalists views were not too dissimilar to Roy Keane's at the World Cup in 2002, as much as I despise Keane, I understand how annoyed he must have been with the amateur set up at Ireland compared with united
Dunphy saw that game against Egypt, on a Sunday afternoon in summer with the whole country watching, as a chance for Irish people who weren’t football fans, maybe into other sports, to be seduced by the game and this team
What occurred was one of the worst matches served up in Charlton reign
He took it badly and criticized Jack for the style of play
Dunphy has criticized every Ireland manager I can remember, always having a problem with them leaving out a certain player, in some cases totally over rating them, whilst dismissing less glamorous players that have been chosen

Dunphy saw that game against Egypt, on a Sunday afternoon in summer with the whole country watching, as a chance for Irish people who weren’t football fans, maybe into other sports, to be seduced by the game and this team
What occurred was one of the worst matches served up in Charlton reign
He took it badly and criticized Jack for the style of play
Dunphy has criticized every Ireland manager I can remember, always having a problem with them leaving out a certain player, in some cases totally over rating them, whilst dismissing less glamorous players that have been chosen

I didn't realise that mate, after reading your post and after watching all of the documentary, it was probably more than football to Irish people at the time. The bit that stood out for me was when it was said the Jack took back the Tri Colour for the people from the Republicans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.