Jack Charlton doc bbc

It was bad how that Irish journalist Eamon Dunphy was treated though, he was made a hate figure because he dared to question their style of football. He was right though, that Irish team had some world class talent, but their main objective was to do better than England, and make sure that everybody liked them and knew that they could have a party.

That journalists views were not too dissimilar to Roy Keane's at the World Cup in 2002, as much as I despise Keane, I understand how annoyed he must have been with the amateur set up at Ireland compared with united
Iarc Dunphy was Keane's ghost writer and did an awful hatchet job on McCarthy. McCarthy came out worst in Ireland as a result despite doing a decent job with what he had. Yes the set up was somewhat behind, but it also worked with a lot of players, 99% of which were not world class at the time. McCarthy came out the worst, Dunphy was Keanes mouthpiece and I haven’t much sympathy for him.

Watched this last night. My dad is from Kilkenny and brought me up as an Irish fan. I was just getting into football during those crazy, halycon days of Euro 88, Italia 90 and USA 94.

The man is a legend. How he never got a knighthood but the Ticket Tout did, is shameful.

The bit where his wife said "The Irish love you, don't they" and he couldn't remember was heartbreaking, given what he achieved with them. Awful illness to succumb to. Especially considering he was such a giant of a man in stature and personality.

Great documentary to a legend.
Also very sad, the missus was blubbering through most of it

Excellent well produced and sympathetic towards his dementia what a strong lady his wife is and his son came over very well Great man will be remembered in Ireland for a long time without doubt their favourite English man
They used the documentary and The Charlton Years documentary all on the same night over here as part of the dementia awareness weekend and raised a lot of money.
A really moving piece. He’s remembered very fondly over here.

I've just watched it. When he said 'I've always had a distrust of centre half's that can play'

He would hate us now ha!
Football has moved on from his philosophy. But He was right for Ireland at the time. We had decent players but they had to fit in to his way of playing. O’Leary was frozen out for three years. Brady wasn’t trusted and Ronnie Whelan was probably under used as well.

The thing that is often said over here is that in an age when displaying the Irish flag over here had you earmarked as a Republican sympathiser (pathetic in a Republic) and would have your house watched by the Gardai, he put pride into a nation that the world outside only saw portrayed negatively in the news regarding the Troubles. We took back our flag and to this day you see it flown from windows and bunting in gardens for all sorts of celebrations.

For me and many I know that is his legacy over here and why he was so loved. His team made grown men cry. Men who probably had no interest in soccer up until that.

I followed the team through Europe and WC competitions and it was the best time of my life.
Italian ‘90 in particular was unreal.

Iarc Dunphy was Keane's ghost writer and did an awful hatchet job on McCarthy. McCarthy came out worst in Ireland as a result despite doing a decent job with what he had. Yes the set up was somewhat behind, but it also worked with a lot of players, 99% of which were not world class at the time. McCarthy came out the worst, Dunphy was Keanes mouthpiece and I haven’t much sympathy for him.
I don’t have any sympathy for Dunphy either, but to be fair to him regarding what he said at Italia’90, he was misquoted by the time the news hit the fans in Italy.
He mentioned he would be ashamed to play that kind of football. By the time it got to the fans on the ground it was reported as Dunphy said the Irish team should be ashamed of themselves after the Egypt game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.