Jack Charlton doc bbc

Bit late to the party with this but saw a few people mention it on twitter plus this thread so thought I'd download and give it a watch. My word what a couple of hours of TV, loved it and yet so sad to watch as well. The Paul McGrath stuff is so touching. Where he's watching the footage on the laptop and sees and recognises him. Emotional.

Great documentary, in his later days he seemed to be at peace with his life, which with that horrible disease is good in many ways, it obviously has a much bigger impact on those around the person.
Not sure about that mate. I have witnessed this first hand. The distress this causes the person is considerable. My father in law regularly forgot the death of his brother then grieved all over again when he got reminded (we quickly learnt to go along with the notion that brother Bill might pop around later). It is also a physical desease with one family member suddenly becoming incapacitated. In addition, there is uncharacteristic emotional and violent outbursts which are distressing for him and those around him. Just like Jack's son, we had some solace in the fact that he died of other causes before the dementia took all his faculties.

Quality documentary. They really were England’s bogey team at that time. They used to sing “You’ll never beat the Irish” and it did feel that way.

We played them in 88, 90 and in the qualifiers for 92 and didn’t win any of the 4 matches.

I thought I was getting less emotional with age when I watched it but then, out of the blue, the last 20 seconds when he was listening to the Blaydon Races nailed me. The joy on his face was a sight to behold.

Well worth the watch. Completely turned my understanding of the man and what he was about around. I'll admit that for me he was neither the man of ’66, nor the man who managed Ireland, but mainly a baleful figure standing on the opposition goal line for Leeds, fouling the keeper. I now see that there was so very much more to him than that. I knew that he was popular in Ireland, of course, but hadn't quite grasped how strong the bond was.
The vacancy in his face, though, in the final years, is something terrible to behold. You can see that he knows something is badly wrong, but can't quite work out what it is.
Recommended.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.