James McAtee

McAtee's problem is that we all want to sign Grealish and Kane. McAtee is immense, but can anyone really see him getting any substantial game time ahead of Gundo, KDB, Ferna, Rodri, Mahrez, Cancelo, Zinchenko, Foden, Grealish, Torres, Sterling etc etc? And yeah, I included Rodri, Cancelo, Mahrez, Sterling and so on, despite not being tradititionally attacking midfielders, because we know Pep would rather use a senior player out of position than a kid. The likes of Palmer, Delap, Lavia and Doyle are all deserving too. There's just too many great young players... but a squad packed full of internationals, with a *very* cautious manager when it comes to young talent.

It took ages for a genuinely generational talent like Foden to earn regular minutes - how is that gonna be possible for all those? Foden exists now, so even he's a blocked route into the first team. I know Foden took a while because he's small, but I still think the main reason he took ages was because he's a kid, and Pep's cautious about youth players, especially when he's got a squad full of international superstars so doesn't have to use them.

Personally, I think it's possible to find minutes for them but I don't think Pep is that kind of manager, so it's an either/or situation. If you want Grealish, Kane etc... probably have to accept that these lads just won't get a go.

Just out of interest: if you had to pick one kid out of our current crop of kids to make it this or next season which one would it be?

Just out of interest: if you had to pick one kid out of our current crop of kids to make it this or next season which one would it be?

Really hard to name one, but I'd say Lavia's path may be the least blocked given some slight Rodri doubts and Ferna's age. Really good talent and an exceptionally Pep #6. Incredibly smart footballer. Delap, McAtee and Palmer are special young players IMO, it's just their path is so, so blocked. I don't doubt they'd grab an opportunity if it came their way...but will it?

I think a season around the first team (with hopefully a couple of league cup appearances and maybe a CL appearance) and then a season on loan would probably be best for him. Then it’s the summer of 2023, Gundogan will be nearly 33, Mahrez and KDB 32 and there might be a space for the likes of him and Palmer. But realistically we’ll probably just go out and sign more players in their positions anyway.

Really hard to name one, but I'd say Lavia's path may be the least blocked given some slight Rodri doubts and Ferna's age. Really good talent and an exceptionally Pep #6. Incredibly smart footballer. Delap, McAtee and Palmer are special young players IMO, it's just their path is so, so blocked. I don't doubt they'd grab an opportunity if it came their way...but will it?

Thanks for the reply mate. Lavia makes sense. You rate him higher than Gomes? Palmer is an interesting one. Looks a cracking player (as do others) but difficult to see how he will get opportunities.

Thanks for the reply mate. Lavia makes sense. You rate him higher than Gomes? Palmer is an interesting one. Looks a cracking player (as do others) but difficult to see how he will get opportunities.

Yeah, Lavia is a cut above Gomes IMO. Gomes is nice and tidy, but Lavia is waaay further ahead.

Lavia does everything better than Gomes and he's physically more of a presence.

As for standouts,if he maintains his current trajectory......Callum Doyle can be very,very,special - from presence to ability....he has few weaknesses.

Personally I think Palmer is already in Pep's plans.

He was integrated last season when nobody expected it, with a start vs. Burnley and then in the CL, so has clearly impressed him.

McAtee has a much steeper slope in my opinion even if he's rated highly. Having said that he'll be difficult to ignore if he's pulling assists out like he did last night against championship opposition.

We have so many kids with bright futures you just have to trust Pep will keep and nurture the best ones.

Personally I think Palmer is already in Pep's plans.

He was integrated last season when nobody expected it, with a start vs. Burnley and then in the CL, so has clearly impressed him.

McAtee has a much steeper slope in my opinion even if he's rated highly. Having said that he'll be difficult to ignore if he's pulling assists out like he did last night against championship opposition.Palmer

We have so many kids with bright futures you just have to trust Pep will keep and nurture the best ones.
Palmer is a talent and im sure Pep is considering him.

Edozie excites me more though,he is far more direct and purposeful.

Palmer is a talent and im sure Pep is considering him.

Edozie excites me more though,he is far more direct and purposeful.
I've not seen enough of Edozie to make a true opinion. I've seen flashes of good stuff in games I have watched but he's never stood out like McAtee, Palmer, Delap or Lavia.

However, I imagine the transition from Millwall to our academy wasn't easy!

Pretty sure the lads at the EDS are fully aware of the situation, regarding chances of first team careers, but accept they are in the shop window, albeit the biggest and best shop windiow in the country. Very few of them will have a burning ambition to be at City for life, most will be on the radar of other clubs where a first team slot is a realistic aim. The number of lads at the Euros with City pedigree is a testimony to the youth/EDS set-up, but how many would be a starter for City? For Pep's detractors, "he hates youngsters" is just the latest effort to be trotted out. Meh....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.