James McAtee

Potential Integration Plan for Youth over the coming years, each player falls under the backup/understudy category

James McAtee --> Ilkay Gundogan
Cole Palmer --> Riyad Mahrez
Romeo Lavia --> Fernandinho
Delap --> Harry Kane, Jesus likely to be sold letting Delap be his backup/understudy
Tommy Doyle --> Kevin de Bruyne

Year 1 (this year): Limited to training with first team and odd cup game here or there.

**At this stage the club would evaluate the progress of these players and determine if they believe the player legitmately can be useful to the club (has the quality) to go to Year 2, if not, then going on loan would be better for their development.**

Year 2: Slightly more game time, start all cup games, champions league dead rubber and get an odd league game here or there.

Year 3: All cup games, more league and champions leagues games (should be getting atleast 2000 minutes). At this point, assuming they have developed as expected, they should be almost be ready to displace the starter. At the very least, fans would probably be questioning why they aren't starting (ala Foden). Club should be re-evaluating the player if they truly can displace the starter.

Year 4: Around the age of 21/22 and should be a starter, at this point the current starters are around 33/34 (Dinho vacationing somewhere, and Kane is 31) and City will have some plan to move them on (bar Kane), or be backups to the new starters like we have seen with Dinho last season (to Rodri).

Was Well impressed with Edozie pity we well stacked on that left side with Sterling foden and Grealish

I think McAtee looks great but like others have concerns about how he can develop. He is unlikely to get significant minutes for the first team and if he went on loan would need a manager who set the team up for his strengths which would be harder to find than for say Delap or Rogers.

I really think that the five subs thing that was being pushed a year or so ago should be implemented with the caveat that two of the sub slots would be for club developed players with less than 40 senior appearances.

This would allow youngsters to regularly get on the bench and increase their chance of minutes. It would work for every club not just the big ones and boost opportunities for all youngsters. Winner all round imo.

It's definitely why, but I don't really feel sorry for us for not having one. We want to have a huge squad full of stars, and then another B team to put youth stars at... the argument from many is probably 'maybe don't have such a huge squad and leave a few spots for kids instead' - can't say that's unfair really either!
Yeah this why I appreciate the EFL Trophy these days. It's not much but it's as good as it'll get.

Pep's got two seasons left so, unfortunately, I think academy players are going to be even further down his list of priorities for the rest of his stint.
and you have just decided he's leaving at the end of his contract, have you?

a couple of years ago we had Foden on the periphery and Pep only had a year on his deal.

Was Well impressed with Edozie pity we well stacked on that left side with Sterling foden and Grealish
Yeah I wanted to include him, but like you said, it's not so clear who he replaces as they aren't that old.

The other 5 have somewhat obvious players they can take over for.

I put that 4 year plan as more of an idea of how the club could integrate them, and at any year if they aren't happy with any of those players, it's pretty simple for the club to shift and just buy somebody from the market.

Pep's got two seasons left so, unfortunately, I think academy players are going to be even further down his list of priorities for the rest of his stint.

That’s not a bad thing as Delap, McAtee and Palmer are all 18/19? Another two years of development and in with a a chance of securing a full time squad place as back ups with KDB and Mahrez both 32.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.