James Milner Article

Nijinsky 88

Don't agree with everything he says but nonetheless it is a good read.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.7500toholte.com/2011/8/2/2339866/watching-james-milner-play-for-manchester-city-really-bums-me-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.7500toholte.com/2011/8/2/233 ... ums-me-out</a>

Yes, interesting read. The author said he (Milner) just didn't seem to fit in.

I have to say I agree with that. Yes he worked his socks off, ran up and down the pitch all day and made tackles and stuff. He did the dirty work that someone in the team needs to do and Yaya and others will just not do. But despite all the effort, I couldn't help but feel it was like watching a championship player doing his best. That might be a little harsh, but he patently didn't have the skill nor composure of his more classy team-mates. Time and time again the ball would come to him and it looked, well, clumsy. A sort of Frank Lampard, but without the passing or shooting accuracy.

The game ended with me on a high about the result, but nevertheless feeling that Milner more than any other City player on the pitch on Sunday, just didn't belong.

Interesting read, but I think he's missed a couple of important points (probably because he doesn't watch City.)

Firstly, do we hate Milner? I know I don't. I rate him. I know there are some who don't think he's good enough for anything but 'squad player', but that isn't hating him!

Second, he was played out of position for most of last season. He knew it, Mancini knew it, we knew it. He is far better in the centre, but partly because of Yaya and partly because there wasn't really anybody else to play the left side as well as he could (without seriously compromising the way Mancini wanted to play) he ended up out there.

Hopefully Milner will get more chances this coming season, especially in the centre. If the same can be said at the end of the coming season as about last season then the article will have a point, but he's jumped the gun really.

I think he looked quality in deeper areas, but as soon as he entered the final third, he became a weak link. Against Inter, Yaya played deeper than Milner. I'd like to see it the other way around - Milner alongside Nigel, with Yaya free to destroy teams.

It's funny how he says that Milner will play against the lesser teams when I would think of him playing in the bigger games.

He'll play a lot more this season I would think. I thought he looked great on Sunday, but overall not been overly impressed. Don't hate him though!

I think potentially he fits in perfectly, complements the skills of the other players. His versatlity also allows Mancini to completely change the shape of the team during the course of the match with one substitution.

He just needs to be more accurate with his passing, no point running 50m to win the ball or get into space if he gives it away.

Just echoing others here - I don't think any of us *hate* him - I certainly do not.

We do recognise he's been played out of position and that, combined with lack of starts, has made it very difficult for him.

But will he find what he's looking for at City? And will he deliver what we are looking for? Not sure. The jury is out for me.

Very interesting. Agree with some of it, actually.
I think it's probably true that Milner won't quite fit in in certain games. But especially in the premiership there will be plenty of games where he will fit in.
It probably true, though, that he won't get quite enough games to really develop as he might as a regular first team player at another club.

I think he'll be played in the domestic cup comps and be brought on to help close a game down in the last 15/20 minutes (a la Pat V) if I'm being honest. If we get a Nasri type player in then I think YaYa will play a bit deeper such as in the Barry role (but with more freedom to get forward). In front of them will be played Silva, Balo, Nasri (or the like), Edin, Johnson

...............De Jong........................
.............................YaYa...............
..Silva/A.J..........Kun/Nasri......Silva/Balo
......................Kun/Edin.......................

I think everyone in front of YaYa will interchange in a pretty fluid set-up, as we have the insurance of De Jong and YaYa to help break up counter attacks from the opposition. I believe Barry and Milner will cover for De Jong and YaYa (Milner possibly on the right towards the end of games) when when the latter need a rest. That's how I see it anyway. Obviously we may go more defensive when playing other top teams but we'll have to wait and see. Either way, that's a cracking forward line-up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.