Jan Vertonghen

Neville Kneville said:
Not saying Verthongen isn't the man for us, but over the last year or two we've been linked with so many Belgian players. If all these guys are so good, how come Belgium aren't ?

As a belgian guy i'm in a good position to answer that question.

First of all the media is always good at overrating young prospects. It happened with Lukaku who has a poor first touch and has to work on his technique. On top of that he is the only guy we have to put them in the net as our other strikers are shit while he is totally not on top level YET.

Then there is the problem that we lack a real playmaker and upcoming backs. Our coach puts 2 CV's ( Alderweireld from Ajax and Vermaelen) on RB & LB. Doesnt work out at all.
Our only possible playmaker ( hazard ) he puts on the bench or out wide while we have enough options ( Mertens, Dembele, De Bruyne,...) for the flanks.
Also he has a mancrush on Simons ( old CVM from Nürnberg ), as he gets playtime above Vertonghen and Defour ( Porto ) and puts Fellaini in a sort of attacking position while he clearly is more of a YAYA player then a playmaker like Silva.

Last but not least he puts Van Buyten next to Komps in CV while he is playing shite for Belgium for the last 10 years...ridiculous when you see we have Vertonghen, Vermaelen and Lombaerts ( Zenit St Petersburg) for that position.

On topic: Vertonghen

He has a better passing game, is better going forward, has a good strike and technique then Lescott has, but as a defender he isnt so good. I would call Vertonghen class, but not worldclass like Kompany, Thiago Silva, Hummels.

As we are the richest of all topclubs i don't believe we are in for him. Anything less then wordclass just isnt good enough. Vertonghen is a player for Arsenal, Tottenham, Milan.

ThisOne said:

He has a better passing game, is better going forward, has a good strike and technique then Lescott has, but as a defender he isnt so good. I would call Vertonghen class, but not worldclass like Kompany, Thiago Silva, Hummels.

As we are the richest of all topclubs i don't believe we are in for him. Anything less then wordclass just isnt good enough. Vertonghen is a player for Arsenal, Tottenham, Milan.

Interesting to read a balanced perspective rather than people just saying 'yeah quick let's sign him'

Cheers.

ThisOne said:

Yeah i get your point but compare his price tag to the ones you mention above and hes not a finished product by any means he is only 24 so he has time to develop from a class player to a top class player and hopefully to a world class player.besides what other realistic options are out there.

Salar said:
Yeah i get your point but compare his price tag to the ones you mention above and hes not a finished product by any means he is only 24 so he has time to develop from a class player to a top class player and hopefully to a world class player.besides what other realistic options are out there.
You don't get much better past 24 mate.

Unless you're Drogba.

Jumanji said:
Salar said:

Unless you're Drogba.
If im not mistaken vinnie had his best season at the age of 25 which was the last one.(meaning he got better)

LoveCity said:
A shame it's Footy Bunker though, it isn't a legitimate source/site. I just had a prowl of Google and saw some foreign sites with the same, getting my hopes up, but they use Footy Bunker as the source! Nothing on any German sites.

He would be a fantastic signing though. A lot of people are calling for Samba types and they would be OK for depth but for real genuine quality to line up alongside Kompany we need to look more at players like Silva and Hummels. Also, Dede from Vasco da Gama is very highly rated and has Real Madrid, Chelsea, and others looking at him. Supposed to be the best CB in Brazil.
That guy is huge and same height as Samba and is quite fast as well. He's got everything to be a world class CB in terms of physical attributes. Think he would be better suited to the premiership than T. Silva

Jumanji said:
Salar said:

Unless you're Drogba.
That rule mostly applies to offensive players. And even so, most offensive players peak between 26 and 29. Yet defenders are able to peak even later. Especially CDs. Nt that this means Vert will. :)

ThisOne said:

ThisOne's story sounds correct. He started out at Ajax as defensive midfielder but lacked handling speed on this position. He was then sent to leftback with Vermaelen as centre back during Van Basten's managing period. As Vermaelen proved to be much quicker than Vertonghen, and Vertonghen to be able to add more to the the attack, they changed places (here in Holland we prefer defenders who add something to the attack above doing a defensive job properly ;) ).

He now made it as captain of Ajax. He should be able to match any Dutch striker without breaking a sweat, but as he knows he doesn't have to deliver 100% in Holland, he tends not to live up to his full potential in Ajax. Therefor its time to leave for him. If you want to get a real glimpse of his defensive abilities, watch Lyon - Ajax in the Champions League this season. Against players like Briand and Gomis he hardly made a mistake.

Personally I do not rate him good enough to start for City the entire season yet. But hey, I thought the same of Vermaelen and he did a decent job @ Arsenal.

Greetings, an Ajax-fan

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.