Jason Denayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neville Kneville said:
My only question re Denayer is whether it's cb he ends up playing.

If he does play there, he will be something different to anything we have seen at City & the back 4 will have to learn to play accordingly. He's giving away something like 14 kg compared to someone like Mangala, so we have to realise he will be a very different player, as a cb.

Contrasting Centre halves usually end up making the best partnerships though from my experience of the game, think Carvalho/Terry, Vidic/Camelgob, Vinny/Lescott, Puyol/Pique in the last few years.

Neville Kneville said:

If he does play there, he will be something different to anything we have seen at City & the back 4 will have to learn to play accordingly. He's giving away something like 14 kg compared to someone like Mangala, so we have to realise he will be a very different player, as a cb.

I agree he will be different but I don't think you have to be an absolute physical specimen to be a great defender.

Mangala deals with typical centre forwards well but when he comes up against an elusive striker like a Messi or Agüero he struggles.

Vinny is similar in my opinion, exceptional defender but can get turned quite easy by the quick and elusive players.

sam-caddick said:
Neville Kneville said:

I agree he will be different but I don't think you have to be an absolute physical specimen to be a great defender.

Mangala deals with typical centre forwards well but when he comes up against an elusive striker like a Messi or Agüero he struggles.

Vinny is similar in my opinion, exceptional defender but can get turned quite easy by the quick and elusive players.

Don't agree with that, Vinny has had Suarez in his pocket every time he's played against him and did fine up against Messi in both legs last year.

Neville Kneville said:

I'd imagine Denayer is still growing Nev,id be very surprised if this time next year he hasn't packed on a few more kg's - not that its hugely important imo,as desire,athleticism and intelligence are his strengths.

aguero93:20 said:
sam-caddick said:
Neville Kneville said:

Don't agree with that, Vinny has had Suarez in his pocket every time he's played against him and did fine up against Messi in both legs last year.
Not to mention he stopped Kerzhakov and Kokorin in Brazil

Neville Kneville said:
Up against it in theory tonight, suddenly facing much higher quality opponents.

Be interesting to see how he & Virgil cope. Be something of a shock I would imagine & they'll have to step up a level very quickly.
It's on BT Sport 1, KO 8:05 for anyone who has BT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.