João Félix

Felix - 14 goals in 65 appearances for Athetico
Vlahovic - 42 goals in 94 appearances for Fiorentina

We have lots of players that can play as false 9 or winger.
We have no players who can play reliably as a goal scoring centre forward.

How would signing Felix make a lot more sense than signing Vlahovic?

I just do not understand why Felix is so highly rated - he cannot nail down a starting spot for his club or country so I cannot see how he can be good enough for City.

Felix's creative and technical ability exceeds Vlahovic's. Would be great as a false 9 with player like Sterling and Jesus running in behind the space left by centrebacks.

People often forget that players evolve into another main position as they get older. Aguero played off Forlan at Atletico and Suarez played on the right at Ajax.

Season before Tevez signed for city he scored 15 goals in 51 appearances in all comps, first season with us he scored 29 in 42.

Felix - 14 goals in 65 appearances for Athetico
Vlahovic - 42 goals in 94 appearances for Fiorentina

We have lots of players that can play as false 9 or winger.
We have no players who can play reliably as a goal scoring centre forward.

How would signing Felix make a lot more sense than signing Vlahovic?

I just do not understand why Felix is so highly rated - he cannot nail down a starting spot for his club or country so I cannot see how he can be good enough for City.
Because of the reason I just wrote? It would make more sense if we are also going to sign Haaland. Signing Vlahovic would obviously rule out a signing of Haaland. If we can't get Haaland, Vlahovic would be a decent option.

I just cannot see us getting Haaland unless he buys into the City project rather than just for the team that will pay him the most and can offer Champions League football (which may well rule out the rags and Barcelona).

The City bosses probably know exactly what they will offer Haaland and will not go beyond that. His agent will be trying to force an auction for his services and my concern is that it will drag out over the Summer and, if we do not get him, we will be unable to get an alternative.

Most indications seem to show that he will be very money driven so I expect that he will end up at Real or possibly PSG as a replacement for Mbappe.

In comparison signing Vlahovic seems a lot more achievable. His club have named their price and it seems that a deal could be done relatively simply.

Having secured a striker the next priority would be a backup/competitor for Rodri.

Sorting these two positions is far more important than adding another AM/winger like Felix good player though he is.

It seems a lot of posters say that we will not pay what Haaland wants because it's too much. We are in a position to pay anyone anything. If it's too much for us then surely it's too much for anyone else.
City have form for walking away from deals where costs get above a certain threshold. Sanchez and Maguire are two examples. Just because we could afford to pay him enormous sums does not mean that we will. The likes of PSG are different but I think we have the better business model.

City have form for walking away from deals where costs get above a certain threshold. Sanchez and Maguire are two examples. Just because we could afford to pay him enormous sums does not mean that we will. The likes of PSG are different but I think we have the better business model.
You’re comparing things that are very different with a bunch of cliches and in the wrong thread

You’re comparing things that are very different with a bunch of cliches and in the wrong thread
I'll agree that the Felix thread is being diverted but the rest of my post stands.

PSG pay their top earner (Messi) four times what City pay their top earner (KdB).
Real Madrid's top earner (Bale) also is paid more than twice what KdB.

If it comes down to which club pays the biggest wages City will not be in the mix unless they are willing to trash the existing wage structure.

These seems like facts rather than cliches.

I really do not want to get into a protracted argument as this thread is not the place to do so and I actually find a lot of your posts interesting and your knowledge about South American football insightful.

PSG pay their top earner (Messi) four times what City pay their top earner (KdB).
Real Madrid's top earner (Bale) also is paid more than twice what KdB.

If it comes down to which club pays the biggest wages City will not be in the mix unless they are willing to trash the existing wage structure.

These seems like facts rather than cliches.
Our offer for Messi in the previous summer was higher than what PSG is paying him now. Bale’s contract ends at the end of this season and he won’t be renewing it. I have multiple times talked about how the numbers in his contract aren’t how Madrid does business for players of his stature anymore, but even then, he got that number in a contract renewal. The comparison is with Hazard who makes the same as KdB. So let’s get it straight, Madrid’s and our highest wages are the same. We don’t pay a higher wage not because we don’t want or can’t but because we don’t have a player for that. If we had Messi, Neymar, Haaland or Mbappe for instance, they would get payed accordingly. KdB’s wages is the ultimate proof.
Then you want to talk about stuff like Maguire. That isn’t an apt comparison. Maguire is a CB who would have changed nothing about the status of the team or the club and whose fee was truly exorbitant. You can find a CB elsewhere, and we did. With Haaland, you are talking about bringing a player that not only is at the top bracket but will also become the face of the team and the brand. I know this talk annoys many here, but it is a business after all.
Let’s be clear, with the Kane situation we had a “valuation” for him and made two offers that went significantly above that number. That is something I kept hearing we wouldn’t have done. Sure we didn’t end hitting the number Levy set with the intention of never selling, a different situation. We also spent a number on Grealish that I was told would never happen — and let’s be clear: for GREALISH. The Haaland fee is significantly under what the Grealish fee was. I am not saying there isn’t a limit we will pay, but that is true of every club, they all operate with limits. However, to be like “we don’t fight for players” and then list players like Maguire and Sanchez who are in an entirely different level and would mean significantly less and with same-level alternatives available is a mistake in judgment. And btw, the clubs you mentioned, PSG and Madrid, aren’t potential destinations for him at this point

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.