#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seemed to finish last season well as a left back, but really struggled last night. The Arsenal game looks like it was the best formation for him and we could return to that quite a bit, given that Mendy is out injured.

Not a LB

Pep should stop experimenting and buy a decent LB.

Or if we are experimenting - at least should give a chance to Jack Harrison next season :D

Not a LB

Or if we are experimenting - at least should give a chance to Jack Harrison next season :D
Because what our LB position needs right now is an unproven experiment...
;)

Don’t rate him, waste of money, always has a look on his face as though he doesn’t want to be there, can’t defend the Porto goal proves it

Don’t rate him, waste of money, always has a look on his face as though he doesn’t want to be there, can’t defend the Porto goal proves it
That's taking it too far. He is not a natural LB. He is mostly an RB. In my opinion he did very well in arsenal game in the right with walker behind him.
With ake and Mendy injured pep had no choice but to play him as LB

Feel all the criticism of Cancelo is totally unfair. Against Porto, he had no winger in front of him and was basically playing out of position and having to be wing back and full back as well. He was much better when Torres came on.

To compare, Walker had a blinder in his normal position, but had Mahrez in front of him and Diaz inside . Cancelo was playing out of position with no winger in front of him and Garcia inside.

Not a LB

I'm sure Pep would love to click his fingers and have a new left back but it's not that simple because he's not the one who gets the final say. Hard to justify to your bosses that you need to spend a substantial amount of money a new left back when your new £40m signing can cover there, you've got a young midfielder who covered there as part of the team that got 198 points in two seasons and you've still got a big money signing from a few years ago. Zinchenko wants to stay and Mendy is perpetually injured so neither could be sold to fund a new signing.

If people really can't see his quality on the ball then I despair. He's created a lot of teams problems from that left wing on the attacking end and some of his diagonal passes splitting the fullback and centreback could be taken from a de Bruyne highlight reel. That's a weapon in our arsenal, especially when you've got the likes of Sterling or Torres getting on the end of them.

I can't wait to finally have a proper left back but being able to choose between him, the other guys and Ake when we need to be more solid at the back against counterattacks isn't a terrible problem to have.

Our best player today - created most of our best moments and set up Foden’s goal. I’d like to see him stay in the team for a good run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.