Joao Cancelo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we were PL top scorers again, without aggressivly flying full backs.

Our offense is creating a shit load of chances. If anything we should up our conversion rate,
but even that was good enough to win a domestic treble.

Pep has dramatically improved City's defense over the years, we have stopped conceding silly goals, only dippers conceded 1 less.

We absolutely don't need offensive full backs.
As much as I criticize Kyle's technical abilities I am well aware what his pace and athletics mean for our game.
Danilo is a very good cover and if you handle him well he is a fighter when you need him, back across the defense.

Zin and Mendy have been improving their defensive game as well and that's where we start to win our games.
That's what top teams do. Shut down shop and convert a couple of your numerous chances.

If we start to play more open with flying full backs and drop pants on the way back I am fully against.

I am sure Pep is well aware what clean sheets mean to win trophies. Especially in CL knockout matches.

As far as all the links are concerned this one seems to have the most legs. So it seems to me Pep does think we need a more offensive rightback. We need someone better than Walker to beat high presses and start attacks on the right. It's not always about flying fullbacks.

BTW Walker is the definition of a flying fullback. He flies forward and provides a simple overlap most times. So if he's so far up how do we get away with it? It's because of how the team is set up positionally. The team shifts over to the right and someone like KDB or the right winger would actually shift back in more of a defensive position. So we do it now anyway.

I can understand concerns about Cancelo not being as good defensively on 1 v 1's maybe, but we need someone who can help break down a team from the right side if Pep sees a weakness there. Cancelo wouldn't necessarily be a flying fullback. He has good ball control so he can link up, and be more like what Zinch does on the left. Only overlapping when space dictates it. It could also allow us to play him as a wingback in a back 3 if needed.

As far as all the links are concerned this one seems to have the most legs. So it seems to me Pep does think we need a more offensive rightback. We need someone better than Walker to beat high presses and start attacks on the right. It's not always about flying fullbacks.

BTW Walker is the definition of a flying fullback. He flies forward and provides a simple overlap most times. So if he's so far up how do we get away with it? It's because of how the team is set up positionally. The team shifts over to the right and someone like KDB or the right winger would actually shift back in more of a defensive position. So we do it now anyway.

I can understand concerns about Cancelo not being as good defensively on 1 v 1's maybe, but we need someone who can help break down a team from the right side if Pep sees a weakness there. Cancelo wouldn't necessarily be a flying fullback. He has good ball control so he can link up, and be more like what Zinch does on the left. Only overlapping when space dictates it. It could also allow us to play him as a wingback in a back 3 if needed.
I feel that having a right back that is a weapon attacking-wise would take Bernardo's game to the next level.

Isn't it strange that we seem to be chasing a RB more than a LB? I say this because bluemoon experts would have you believe that it is on the left we need to improve more so than on the right given that Mendy can barely play these days and many of us do not consider Zinny ideal for that job.

I think our pursuit of an attacking right back inspite of the above points I mentioned about our left side says a lot about what Pep thinks in terms of areas of improvement in the team.

Isn't it strange that we seem to be chasing a RB more than a LB? I say this because bluemoon experts would have you believe that it is on the left we need to improve more so than on the right given that Mendy can barely play these days and many of us do not consider Zinny ideal for that job.

I think our pursuit of an attacking right back inspite of the above points I mentioned about our left side says a lot about what Pep thinks in terms of areas of improvement in the team.

Cancelo can play LB and if we are signing a new CB then Laporte could play LB as well

Walker only goes forward in front of the team, occasionally.

Most of the time he is in position to get back & cover.

But if Mendy actually gets fit, then we would have two fullbacks capable of getting back & covering, rather than one, so they can cover each other.

Walker only goes forward in front of the team, occasionally.

Most of the time he is in position to get back & cover.

But if Mendy actually gets fit, then we would have two fullbacks capable of getting back & covering, rather than one, so they can cover each other.

Yes you say Walker goes forward occasionally. Still he does go forward. If we were so concerned about our defensive set up he would never go forward. So when he does we have to be set up in a position to stop the counter. We don't play like how we did under Pellegrini by throwing everyone forward and blowing caution to the wind. So if Cancelo does go forward, Mendy would be in a defensive position. BTW I'm sure in games where Pep thinks the left winger would be a problem for us Walker would play.

It's not all about going forward, but Cancelo would also be better as an inverted fullback. Games where we had a hard time was against Wolves away and Newcastle away (as well as a few others). In these games they both played a medium block against us. They let us bring the ball up until the halfway line. When it crossed the line they then pressed us in their own half. In these situations where Walker was inverted he gave the ball away numerous times leading to counters. This I think is one instance where Cancelo can help.

Yes you say Walker goes forward occasionally. Still he does go forward. If we were so concerned about our defensive set up he would never go forward. So when he does we have to be set up in a position to stop the counter. We don't play like how we did under Pellegrini by throwing everyone forward and blowing caution to the wind. So if Cancelo does go forward, Mendy would be in a defensive position. BTW I'm sure in games where Pep thinks the left winger would be a problem for us Walker would play.

It's not all about going forward, but Cancelo would also be better as an inverted fullback. Games where we had a hard time was against Wolves away and Newcastle away (as well as a few others). In these games they both played a medium block against us. They let us bring the ball up until the halfway line. When it crossed the line they then pressed us in their own half. In these situations where Walker was inverted he gave the ball away numerous times leading to counters. This I think is one instance where Cancelo can help.

Walker gives the ball away in bad areas but tbf, Zinchenko did so on some occasions too.

But if Mendy plays, whoever is rightback may alternate with Mendy, as to who goes forward & move into midfield to guard against the counter, etc.

At the moment we often tend to play almost a back 3 with Walker covering, especially when Fern is missing.

Walker gives the ball away in bad areas but tbf, Zinchenko did so on some occasions too.

But if Mendy plays, whoever is rightback may alternate with Mendy, as to who goes forward & move into midfield to guard against the counter, etc.

At the moment we often tend to play almost a back 3 with Walker covering, especially when Fern is missing.

What it comes down to is that Cancelo gives us flexibility to play differently. I'm not saying he'd play every game and it would depend on who's injured etc. Maybe I blindly trust Pep to know what he is doing, but people were laughing when he first deployed both KDB and Silva in the central midfield saying they would be too lightweight and we'd get run over. People also thought playing Gundo in the #6 for Dinho wouldn't work, but for the most part it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.