Joao Cancelo | Al Hilal Player

Was he? I missed that. I remember journeyman wingers almost walking past him, and a couple of fancy Dan crosses with the outside of his boot. Bloke is a whopper.
Imo yes. Of course defense wasnt his strength and never will be but his interceptions was quite good. Has a high football IQ and born for a 3 atb wing position.

Was he? I missed that. I remember journeyman wingers almost walking past him, and a couple of fancy Dan crosses with the outside of his boot. Bloke is a whopper.

The second half of the covid one we won, the tactical change of him inverting almost towards a number 10, he was unbelievable!!

We went on a huge winning run and he was scoring, assisting but mainly taking the ball in tight spaces, providing a late run teams struggled to pick up and his instant control kept the ball high up the pitch in dangerous positions.

Towards the end he had a game against Southampton which was the best attacking performance from a FB I’ve ever seen.

Unfortunately, he had a few errors and a high profile one v Salah, his performance dropped and the issues started.

Your welcome to your views on the guy but he was fantastic at times, even the outside of the foot crosses produced some wonderful assists including Haaland’s epic foot high equaliser v Dortmund.

The second half of the covid one we won, the tactical change of him inverting almost towards a number 10, he was unbelievable!!

We went on a huge winning run and he was scoring, assisting but mainly taking the ball in tight spaces, providing a late run teams struggled to pick up and his instant control kept the ball high up the pitch in dangerous positions.

Towards the end he had a game against Southampton which was the best attacking performance from a FB I’ve ever seen.

Unfortunately, he had a few errors and a high profile one v Salah, his performance dropped and the issues started.

Your welcome to your views on the guy but he was fantastic at times, even the outside of the foot crosses produced some wonderful assists including Haaland’s epic foot high equaliser v Dortmund.

Interesting stuff. You forgot his ridiculous sending off at home to Fulham which nearly cost us the title and his non-defending in the last minute at home to Spurs when we lost 3-2, decided not to bother tracking back.
And of course, playing RM onside for their 1st goal in Madrid when we were coasting through to the CL final. Not to mention his stupid aimless cross into their box in injury time when we were still going through…. That led to them regaining possession and heading up the pitch to score.
Most players with a bit of skill will look good going forward in this City side. Those deemed to be defenders need to also be good at stopping the opposition scoring. This guy could be a liability at times in that respect, always gave me the impression he was more interested in “Joao” the brand than digging in and working hard at the back.
Hopefully he will be away soon.

Interesting stuff. You forgot his ridiculous sending off at home to Fulham which nearly cost us the title and his non-defending in the last minute at home to Spurs when we lost 3-2, decided not to bother tracking back.
And of course, playing RM onside for their 1st goal in Madrid when we were coasting through to the CL final. Not to mention his stupid aimless cross into their box in injury time when we were still going through…. That led to them regaining possession and heading up the pitch to score.
Most players with a bit of skill will look good going forward in this City side. Those deemed to be defenders need to also be good at stopping the opposition scoring. This guy could be a liability at times in that respect, always gave me the impression he was more interested in “Joao” the brand than digging in and working hard at the back.
Hopefully he will be away soon.

I agree, hopefully he will be away soon.

Also agree that he got dropped as it reached the point Pep felt the cons outweigh the pros.

My point was more it wasn’t all bad and there where times he was very good, the contract extension which was widely considered a good thing by City fans (although a mistake now) indicated the value to the team at that point.

So yes, we can point to moments of brilliance and moments of mistakes!

Just a game of running down the clock now, he and his agent have the ball by the corner flag. The saudis might just win this on goal difference.
Agree it seems that the Saudis are playing the long game here hopeful that the sack of rats that is Barcelona football club are unable to pull off another loan deal and Cancelo finds himself facing footballing obscurity; either sidelined at City for the remainder of his contract (at great cost to us) or plying his trade in an entirely irrelevant league in the desert (albeit with the reward of untold riches). Regardless of his detractors on this forum, it would be a sad end to what might have been a glittering career. It's difficult though to feel any sympathy for a player who has managed to single-handedly wreck his own future.

Yes he was ,played some great games for us. But for his personality probably still would be.

Agree it seems that the Saudis are playing the long game here hopeful that the sack of rats that is Barcelona football club are unable to pull off another loan deal and Cancelo finds himself facing footballing obscurity; either sidelined at City for the remainder of his contract (at great cost to us) or plying his trade in an entirely irrelevant league in the desert (albeit with the reward of untold riches). Regardless of his detractors on this forum, it would be a sad end to what might have been a glittering career. It's difficult though to feel any sympathy for a player who has managed to single-handedly wreck his own future.

I don't think it is harsh of me to say, that I don't care about his career at this point.
He has had 4 transfer windows and 2 loan spells at top clubs, to find his place somewhere where his talent can give him the career he could have had. The club have enabled him and given him scope for that. If Saudi is where he ends up that's on him and his entourage. At this point I only care for what is good for City. Last summer that might have been harsh, this summer I think it is fair.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.