job hunters

If anybody knows of any manual labour jobs I would be very grateful! Came out of the army 2011 and been in an out of different labouring posts through redundancies etc.. If anyone's look for an apprentice, trainee or reliable labourer then gimme a shout!

There's pot washing and there's pot washing.

The Queen has advertised for a pot washer to join the staff of the royal household for £14,200 a year.

The role, advertised on the royal website, is for someone in charge of “maintaining the cleanliness of the staff restaurant, wash up areas and equipment”.

While the new recruit will be responsible for the staff restaurant at Buckingham Palace, they will be expected to travel to other royal residences for up to three months a year.

The advert says someone with a “willing attitude” was required who was “punctual and reliable”.

Applications close on 15th Jan 2013

I work in HR for Barclays -specifically technical recruitment. Will keep an eye out for you Manchester la la la

Rascal said:
Manchester la la la la said:
How long have you been looking for work for?

been 14 months for me now and i have a uni degree

about to start looking for voluntary work as the jobcentre are useless even though im on every course or scheme they offer

every interview i go for i always get told i was awesome in the interview, but they offered the position to someone with more experience

yet I have 5 years of administrative experience

getting to the point where the job gap is going to be an issue and employers will ask what ive been doing for over a year, not sat on my arse as im on 3 get back to work schemes a week... so, anyone here feeling my pain?

I just want to work but need a perm position to be able to support my family as temp contracts are no good as i got a missus and 2 young kids to feed which benefits is a security net for at the moment

Feel for you mate,

Sadly you are the people who under the rhetoric of this govt are made out to be workshy benefit scrounging scum, which will make it harder ironically for you to get a job.

Good luck lad, hope you find some collar soon

What he said.

1961_vintage said:
I just want to work but need a perm position to be able to support my family as temp contracts are no good as i got a missus and 2 young kids to feed which benefits is a security net for at the moment

Surely registering with the agencies and getting yourself a temp role with the possibility of moving to perm is better than nothing at all? At the end of the day the agencies are earning off of having you in work so the good ones are usually pretty decent at getting people in front of the right hiring managers for the right roles.

But all the best whatever approach you take - sounds like you just need something to break your way. Good luck!

in theory yes it would work, but what happens when your contract gets terminated and the 5 week gap between paycheque to getting benefits sorted arises again? we only just managed last time cause I had 2k savings... we're not workshy, just realistic in that we have no safety net in ensuring our children get fed or not if i lose the job or not, and two/three weeks is a long time to go without money. Has to be permanent

-- Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:59 pm --

And regarding agencies... lost count of the number of times iv submitted a job application to them and they've read it and my cv, rang me all interested, only to lose all interest when my partner answers because im deaf.
The face fits with agencies, and mine sadly doesn't.

You need to brush up on the Equality Act 2010 mate. Knowledge is Power!

I'm in the same position as the OP to some extent.

I graduated and got a job straight away. I was made redundant after I'd done all the leg work on a project after 6 months and was then unemployed for 18 months. I managed to fill the gaps some what with temp jobs just to keep my head above water, but I had to take a severe chunk into my savings along with those temp jobs.

I'm fortunate enough now that I have a job in a supermarket. It's not glamorous nor is it intellectually stimulating by any stretch of the imagination but I have at least some income to call my own and I can do a few things like visit friends on the other side of the country without worrying about my finances too much.

I've been looking for a job in business and marketing in Manchester for a long time though as that's where I want to be (currently living in the South at the moment) but there just isn't work out there for love nor money. I always get the "you don't have the experience" lark even though I headed a research and development/marketing operation in a company for 6 months and managed to create a lot more revenue for the company. I'm signed up to countless job websites and all they send me is irrelevant emails which have most likely been sent to everyone on their client list who's looking for a job in Manchester. Very occasionally something does come up, but I never hear back from them because my application has to go through a third party (i.e. recruiter, as they won't tell me the actual companies name). How hard they actually try with my application I'm very dubious of.

I can sympathise with you OP greatly, and I hope something does come up for you, even if it is just a stop gap until you get a job you actually want a career in. Trawling through job adverts all day and constantly getting rejected can be very demoralising but keep going because something will come up!

Good luck in the future, and your job hunt!

chabal said:
LittleStan said:
cheers pal will take that on board, will look into this linkedin thing, iv got an account there but didnt know you could look for jobs using it

voluntary work next step

You can use it as a marketing tool. Fill out your profile, this is your sales leaflet not a CV. You can put contact information and what sort of things you are looking for.

Next step is to get 10 connections, pm me your name and I will be one. There are plenty of blues on there.

then you join as many groups as you can. The purpose is to contact potential line managers so do little research on the types of groups they might have joined.

Type out a few lines (one paragraph) of who you are and what you want and ask for their e-mail address so you can send your cv.

Send as many messages as you can, don't personalise them and don't worry if they don't contact you back. You should get a 10% hit rate. It might take you 2 hours to send 200 messages so you could have 20 potential leads per day as well as looking for work the traditional way.

Once you have their contact send them your CV, a week later send them another short message and keep going until you get something. The aim is to stay in their mind just in case they have something or the hear of something

You can also join in the discussions in the groups and this is a good way to get noticed.

This is good advice from Littlestan- I'll link in with you as well.

Me too

I'm looking at updating my cv and looking for a new job. I'm in work but since oct last year my hours have been halved from 48 to 24. I stuck it out till Xmas but this 1st week (3 days) has confirmed my desire to leave. Any advice on polishing cvs/covering letters would be greatly appreciated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.