Joe Hart to retire at the end of 2023-24 season

For me I’ll never forget the utterly surreal noise -I’ve never heard anything like it -the utter disbelief in the Stadium I suppose -not like a normal Goal Celebration -it was absolutely fantastic and never to be repeated

I know what you mean. I watched the match in the Green (now closed, I've never understood why) on Ducie Street. It was a total, utter madhouse.
I think that sound, in the stadium, and elsewhere in the world wherever blues were gathered, was an open, 44-year-old wound, finally closing and scarring over.

I always, always freeze in pure horror because I'm sure he's going to put it just to the right of the post.
I was drained emotionally and wanted to go for a walk on the concourse, or go home, or get wrecked in some boozer in town. At a "low ebb" doesn't even come close to describing my mood.
But I stayed, and remember screaming "just fucking hit it" as Sergio evaded a challenge. Then he did "just fucking hit it" and the world erupted.
I went to Newcastle the previous week and felt sure we'd beat QPR with some degree of ease as they were in the bottom four. But this is City, and "Typical City" will always bite us on the arse.

Remember my grandad and dad calling it soccer back in the 70s, they’d talk about soccer players or rugby players. Seems to have fallen out of use in England now and is associated with being american, but it wasn’t. Maybe still commonly used in Glasgow.
As kids in the 50s we referred to soccer. There was even a monthly mag called (iirc) Soccer Monthly…..or was it weekly? Ha! So old.

As kids in the 50s we referred to soccer. There was even a monthly mag called (iirc) Soccer Monthly…..or was it weekly? Ha! So old.

I read Charles Buchan's Football Monthly from the autumn of ’66 onwards. Remember it well because they were offering a reward of £5,000 or something like that (a substantial amount, still, in the sixties) for anyone who could break Dixie Dean's record. Naturally, they never had to pay out.
My memory, for what it's worth, is that “soccer” was gradually going out in the seventies. Certainly, almost none of the kids around me used it, even in the late sixties. And kids would say, “Do you fancy going down the park (or wherever) for a kickaround?” or “Let's go and play some footie”.

Going to miss him, so instrumental in that unforgettable 2012 time win.

Good luck Joe and don't do any more Head and Shoulders commercials, do punditry and show those former red scummers how it should be done by former players.

He conceded nine goals when playing for Scotland against England at Wembley in 1961. At the time, Scotland were highly competitive against England and, indeed, were only losing by 5-3 with 12 minutes to play. Haffey got most of the blame for the 9-3 defeat and never played for Scotland again.

This was the origin of the legend that Scottish goalkeers were rubbish.

In that game England had only 10 shots on goal and 9 went in! (shades of Claudio Bravo). Haffey completely lost his nerve and was completely responsible for at least 6 of them. He was the 3rd choice Scotland goalkeeper (under 23 capped) behind Bill Brown and Lawrie Lesley and was pitchforked into the side at short notice owing to injuries. He later emigrated to Australia after receiving death threats from the Gorbals finest.

Apologies for the fact it is Jake Humphries.
I'm about 20mins in and so far big joe has me in the palm of his hand.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your Disclaimer about Jake Humphries, I generally try to avoid anything that him or that snake oil salesman Steven Bartlett are peddling, but unfortunately they occasionally get some good guests on. I'll give this a watch!

Apologies for the fact it is Jake Humphries.
I'm about 20mins in and so far big joe has me in the palm of his hand.

Great interview despite Humphries. The more I see of Joe Hart on TV as a pundit and in interviews the more I am impressed. I think he will succeed in whatever direction he goes in. He was great for City and a true professional in the way he handled his departure.

Wow that was really deep, he's an emotional lad is our Joe.
Loved hearing his stories about things behind the scenes and I'm amazed that I didn't know the goalkeeper coach has been at city longer than Pep.

Recommended watch for everyone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.