Joe Hayes

daveduke67 said:
Charlton is always welcome on here - as long as it's not preceded by Bobby or Jackie ;-)
Nothing wrong with Big Jack; I have a lot of time for him.

He and his scrape-headed brother don't get along. I believe they fell out over their mother.

However, I do agree about the scum one and it's always hood to see fans of other clubs on here, especially if they make worthwhile contributions to the forum.

daveduke67 said:
Is this Joe cup tied?

ehehe

and at first glace I thought to myself, what hayes this thread got to do with football?

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Hayes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Hayes</a>

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDLQWEvubc&feature=related[/youtube]<br /><br />-- Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:49 pm --<br /><br />
Vienna_70 said:
daveduke67 said:
Charlton is always welcome on here - as long as it's not preceded by Bobby or Jackie ;-)
Nothing wrong with Big Jack; I have a lot of time for him.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDI_boFFbY[/youtube]

he's alright Big Jack, even when he's being impersonated on Apres Match; killer... ehehe

gh_mcfc said:
This brought back an odd memory to me.

Whilst standing on a telephone exchange box, (one of those 3 foot green things), on oxford street, london, completey hammered and singing City songs following the Playoff final. A bloke came up to me wanting to give me hug. He was with another bloke both wearing green bomber jackets (you know the sort).

Even in my half cut state and in the protection of my missus I thought. Ello this guy justs wants a cheap thrill from hugging a good looking guy like me. I was a bit unsure until he said. "I`m Joe Hayes Grandson , Not been just chuffed you won". At which point I gladly gave him his hug shook his hand hand and he went on his way.

A pointless tale but just sprung to mind.

PS Joes Grandson. If you read bluemoon and you just wanted to wear the bomber because you thought it looked good... sorry .. wasn`t inffering anything..honest

edit.... or was it Johnny Hart..... I was completely wrecked at the time and on crutches.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPiGJBHVadA[/youtube]

Gary James said:
As it is, he has scored more goals in Manchester derby matches than any other Blue (actually he's equal with Franny Lee but he also scored in the only derby abandoned due to weather).

my first derby, stood (yes, stood) near the front of the platt lane just under the overhang of the roof. incredibly my back stayed dry while my front got drenched. i had my programme in my raincoat pocket and the top bit sticking out was washed white with all the rain. this was august too! it could have put a young lad off for life but fortunately it didn't.

Fucking hell, just met someone claiming to be him in Sidcup. Didn't give him any money though. He was going on about his pension having nearly doubled since the new owners took over. I thought it was him as well, he seemed convincing although I did think he was going overkill on quoting the statistics of his career and that.

Bit disappointed it wasn't him now :-(

I thought I'd post this to add a bit of information about the 'real' Joe Hayes and his City career.

I wrote this for my official history of City: "Manchester The Greatest City" (published in 1997 and updated in 2002; 496 pages, ISBN 978-1899538224). I made him one of only 40 'Maine Citizens' in the book (which was basically the full history of City, with profiles of the leading figures from each period).

MAINE CITIZENS NUMBER 13 - JOE HAYES

Joe Hayes City career started while he was working at a cotton mill in August 1953. The story goes that he arrived for a trial carrying his boots in a brown paper parcel under his arm, scored four early goals, and at the end of the match he said in a broad Boltonian accent: "Ta very much for t'game. Can I 'ave me bus fare back 'ome, please?"

Before the end of the month Blues manager Les McDowall not only paid his bus fare home, but he also signed up the young player. Less than two months later - on 24th October 1953 - he made his debut in City's 3-0 defeat at Tottenham at the age of 17. Not the greatest start, but Hayes had done enough to retain his place for the following match - a 3-2 Maine Road defeat of Burnley.

By the end of that first season, the teenager had made 11 appearances, although he was then left out of the side for the opening months of the 1954-5 season. By the time of the 1955 final, however, he had not only made 20 League appearances, but had performed well enough to convince McDowall to give him his chance at Wembley. It wasn't really a gamble as Hayes had played in every round and had even scored in round 3 at Derby and round 4 against Manchester United (his first derby match). In fact Hayes seemed to enjoy scoring against the Reds. In 17 League and Cup derbies He scored a total of 10 goals making him joint highest derby goalscorer with Francis Lee. Even then, the 5ft 8in forward deserves further acclaim as he also scored in the abandoned derby of 1960.

Hayes first Wembley appearance ended in disappointment, but twelve months later it was the Kearsley born player who set the '56 final alight by scoring within three minutes of the start. It was a crucial goal and one which set City up for an exciting 3-1 victory. That season he was also the club's leading League scorer with 23 goals from 42 appearances.

The 1957-8 season was another which saw Hayes making a name for himself as he netted 25 times in the League from only 40 appearances, to help the Blues achieve 5th place. Around the same time he also appeared for the England under 23 side and for an FA XI.

Sadly, the years that followed were not particularly successful for the Blues as many of the great players from the mid-fifties moved on, however Hayes stayed at the club and continued to perform well, despite City's frustrating suicide tactics of the late fifties/early sixties. During 1961-2 he netted 16 goals in 39 games to maintain his fine strike rate but the following season he started to drift in and out of the side, only managing 21 appearances.

The 1963-4 season was even more disappointing with a serious knee injury at Bury on 28th September, moreorless ending his City career. During 1964-5 he bravely made two further appearances (at Huddersfield on 27th February, and at home to Crystal Palace on 19th April), but he was never quite the same player again and was transferred to Barnsley during the close season. He was only 29. Had the injury not occurred it's possible he may have played a part in City's rehabilitation under Mercer and Allison.

After 25 appearances with Barnsley he moved on to Wigan and then became Lancaster City's player-manager.

In total Hayes made 363 first team appearances and scored 152 League and Cup goals. He is third behind Eric Brook and Tommy Johnson in the table of overall highest goalscorers and fourth in the list of League goalscorers. Considering the period he played in, and the fact that he appeared in over 130 games less than Eric Brook, for Hayes to be so high up both these lists is a remarkable achievement.

Hayes is not usually one of the first names remembered when supporters talk about great players, but his achievements certainly rank with the best. He was a shade unfortunate that after the promise of his first couple of seasons, City appeared to stop developing as a team and never really allowed him to build on his F.A. Cup Winner's medal. Nevertheless his career deserves to be remembered for the excitement and success he helped to bring during the great mid-fifties. Joe Hayes was one of City's leading players throughout that period and beyond. He died in 1999.

HAYES' PLAYING RECORD

Season LEAGUE FA CUP FL CUP TOTAL
App Gls App Gls App Gls App Gls
1953-54 11 0 0 0 - - 11 0
1954-55 20 13 6 2 - - 26 15
1955-56 42 23 7 4 - - 49 27
1956-57 34 14 0 0 - - 34 14
1957-58 40 25 1 1 - - 41 26
1958-59 40 16 2 1 - - 42 17
1959-60 41 13 1 0 - - 42 13
1960-61 38 18 4 1 2 1 44 20
1961-62 39 16 2 0 1 0 42 16
1962-63 21 4 1 0 4 0 26 4
1963-64 3 0 0 0 1 0 4 0
1964-65 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 0
TOTAL 331 142 24 9 8 1 363 152

My first hero. Although my memories are fading now didn't he also score a goal (Allah, pun intended, Colin bell at Derby )with his bum ,in a game against the rags.
Others I remember fondly... Alf Grey, Johnny Crossan, Sammy Sambrook,TC.

A Blue said:
My first hero. Although my memories are fading now didn't he also score a goal (Allah, pun intended, Colin bell at Derby )with his bum ,in a game against the rags.

think you mean matt gray & ray sambrook ;)

Brilliant thread this! Cheers Gary, for younger (I'm still young I've decided - 28 on Sunday!) City fans it's a very interesting read. Might have to get one of your books!

rassclot said:
A Blue said:

think you mean matt gray & ray sambrook ;)

Alf Grey was actually the referee for the 1981 League Cup semi final.

Hayes' 'bum' goal... I 've checked the derby goals he scored and there are 2 that I don't know how they were actually scored. One was in the abandoned derby of 27 August 1960 and the other was City's second and the final goal of the 2 Feb 1957 game which Utd won 4-2 at Maine Road. All I have in my notes (for "The Pride Of Manchester", written in 1991) is: "... following Jones' mistake, Hayes pulled one back for the battling Blues." So it could be that goal. All his other goals are detailed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.