Joe Mercer Appointed Manager Today 1965

He was the manager when I first started following City in 1969. Lovely man.

Thank you heavenly Joe for all you did to make this club great X
(A current Scouse view of istree...

R A come hed Citeh have no istree la, dey was only formed in 2008 when a oil slick landed in ManchesTa. Joe was a proud scouser so he really had nuttttinn ter doo wiv dem oil cheets winnin la cos dey nevvvverr eggsisted like).

Last edited:
As vital to the history of the club as absolutely anybody else.
A question. I always presumed that Joe was a scouser (I just assumed it because of that accent). I see that he was actually from Ellesmere Port. Does that technically make him a scouser? I presume not.

There are some good people from Liverpool, by the way.

As vital to the history of the club as absolutely anybody else.
A question. I always presumed that Joe was a scouser (I just assumed it because of that accent). I see that he was actually from Ellesmere Port. Does that technically make him a scouser? I presume not.

There are some good people from Liverpool, by the way.
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire. The Wandering Scousers can be found far afield, especially in Cymru.

Yeah, that's all quite interesting (I read it), but it doesn't actually quite answer my question. I see that my Penguin English Dictionary gives, as a decidedly unsatisfactory definition, “a native or inhabitant of Liverpool” (which is already clearly lazy, because you could be an inhabitant of Liverpool and be from Surrey!). Does that mean, therefore, that Birkenheaders are not scousers, since they're from over the river? What do they themselves think?
It also seems a bit generous, incidentally, to take Ellesmere Port itself to be part of “greater Birkenhead” (as the Wiki article indicates). I wonder if the good denizens of Ellesmere Port see it that way. I'm aware that it may be administratively considered part of Birkenhead, but what bureaucrats and civil servants decide is sometimes a far cry from where people consider that they are.
Any info on Joe himself? Did he think of himself as scouse?

Incidentally, since we're in the Wirral, here's a useless detail, which interests me, anyway: the poet of the mediæval poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is thought to have been from the Wirral. They situate him there by virtue the dialect of the poem. It's wonderful stuff. The descriptions of landscape make it sound really, really wild at the time. It was also known as a hideout for brigands and generally lawless men. (Cannot be understood without notes and a pretty thorough glossary, incidentally — it's a long way from our English).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.