Joe Mercer Appointed Manager Today 1965

Typical City sacked Joe, he was a casualty of the board split. A long time later, after Joe’s death, the club was reconciled to Joe’s missus.
The shameful day when Joe left City:

The shameful day when Joe left City:

Thanks for that Gary. Always good to remember the major events of our non-existent history. Astonishing how ignorant Ian Niven was. In the end these events led to some very dark days. We didn’t always have the likes of Khaldoon in charge.

Sir Joe,a gentleman who was loved and respected by so so many.
He was manager, when I first started following City, and it was a very sad day for me, when he left for Coventry.

My first match at Maine Road was the first one, after he died.

The minute's silence was ruined by some idiots among the Everton support, who really should have known better, especially coming that the Toffees were Sir Joe's first club.

I’ve said this a few times; @Gary James' biography of Joe is my favourite football book.

Brand was not a success for us. Having scored better than a goal every other game for Rangers, he scored just twice for us. Iirc, he went most of his first season waiting to break his duck.
That is untrue. Brand scored at Maine Road against Bristol City in a 2-2 on 28 August 1965. It was his third match for City.

The problem was the huge wait for his second goal!

According to his page in the history section, he scored two goals:

A forerunner to Adrian Heath.
His second goal was at Deepdale on 23 October 1965 in a 3-0 win.

He looked like a player who ought to have thrived in the Second tier after being prolific for Rangers. I am uncertain what his position was. We thought he was a centre forward though he was labelled an inside forward elsewhere. However it appears from some accounts that he was originally a winger.

127 goals from 206 matches for Rangers was impressive although some of the opposition would have been part time players back then. Maybe his legs were gone but he joined City at 28 years of age?

His second goal was at Deepdale on 23 October 1965 in a 3-0 win.

He looked like a player who ought to have thrived in the Second tier after being prolific for Rangers. I am uncertain what his position was. We thought he was a centre forward though he was labelled an inside forward elsewhere. However it appears from some accounts that he was originally a winger.

127 goals from 206 matches for Rangers was impressive although some of the opposition would have been part time players back then. Maybe his legs were gone but he joined City at 28 years of age?
I was at Preston that day we played in all Maroon.

He was manager, when I first started following City, and it was a very sad day for me, when he left for Coventry.

My first match at Maine Road was the first one, after he died.

The minute's silence was ruined by some idiots among the Everton support, who really should have known better, especially coming that the Toffees were Sir Joe's first club.

I’ve said this a few times; @Gary James' biography of Joe is my favourite football book.
Thanks for that. It was my favourite book to research and write too. It was my 3rd book and I’ve never bettered it. Throughout my research and writing I felt this overwhelming need to get it right and make it a worthy tribute.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.