Joe Royle - has he been acknowledged enough?

A fantastic manager and thanks Joe for that 2-2 moment, it's one I'll never forget! I wish the club would get him onto the pitch before a game as it would fire the crowd up!
Sadly, as in most walks of life, we'll probably only pay proper tribute to Joe for what he did for us when he passes on.

I always thought it would be nice if we were to play Everton in a cup final and he could be the guest of honour, lead the teams out or whatever.

Joe Royle quotes

Speaking on life in Division 2 -
"We were the biggest show in town wherever we went and people welcomed us with open arms...and then tried to kick us".

Speaking on inheriting a squad of 40+ players -
"I keep turning the corner and bumping into somebody else I'd forgotten is here".

2 promotions and 2 relegations, the 97-98 relegation the writing was already on the wall and was in hindsight a good thing as we had too many players and had to get rid of the deadwood, a absolute incredible season and a half the 2nd half of 98/99 and the following season gave us some fantastic memories but the 2000/01 season just showed what us where Royle had failed as he struggled to manage big name players with huge egos and kind of let these players do what they wanted with the drinking culture, so Royle did indeed leave us where he found us, but we were in much better shape for Keegan to then kick on

Like most City fans of a certain 'vintage' I have a lot of time for Joe Royle. He ofcourse played in the league cup final victory in 76(for many years our only trophy in a very long time) and part of the team the following year that almost won the league.
When we were truly shit, him and chairman Bernstein (and his right hand men of ex blues Hartford and Donachie )were the right men at the right time to steady a sinking ship. Obviously we've gone on to far better things and seen football on a completely different level in recent years. However, those last day promotion clinchers against Gillingham and Blackburn will always be amongst my favourite ever City games that I've had the pleasure if being at .
Realistically, we were always going to struggle back in the top flight and when we got relegated again in 2001.As others have said Keegan was a good fit at that time and we were stronger when we got promoted under him.

In this period of comparing how resilient city have been, 2-0 down against gillingham, 2-1 down against QPR , 2-0 down against Villa, showcasing our never say die attitude, we have interviewed players from all eras and fans comments too, have we afforded Joe Royal the attention( interviews and invites back to the club etc. considering Gillingham , Blackburn etc.,?having played for the club and being manager in a massively instrumental era for City becoming what we are today, does he deserve more attention....everybody loved him at the time!
Everybody?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.