Joe Royle - has he been acknowledged enough?

He was interviewed on those two recent CityTV documentaries first about Gillingham '99 (wasn't there a 20th reunion too where Joe attended) and the one only released the other month about Blackburn 2000. He always seems very complimentary about City and the fans.

I think Joe did a good job for City and a great job for Oldham. I actually went to see the latter play a couple of times during Joe's spell as manager and was really impressed at the performances he got out of such a cheaply assembled side.
It was an amazing achievement to get Oldham to the top flight and an FA Cup semi-final.
Him signing Alfie Haaland has got to have been a factor in us signing young Erling.
I'm surprised that some posters still seem to bear a grudge against him - what do they think about the likes of Clarke, Coppell etc?

Was Joe only effective with Willie Donachie as his right hand man?

Joe is a proper old school decent manager and did a great job galvanising us as a team once he put his stamp on proceedings.

He did a great job more or less everywhere he managed too.

I met him several years ago and he was very charming and knowledgeable and was positive towards us as a club.

I asked him about George Weah and he said he didn’t know he was finished physically before we signed him, he just couldn’t do it any more, sad situation really.

Always good for a soundbite too, two I remember.

After our Blackburn promotion he said we’d played like ‘pigs in labour’ wtf!

As we got relegated he said ‘I may be captain of the ship as it sank, but someone else was in charge when it hit the iceberg’…..quality.

He left us in the same division as he found us but we were far stronger as a result of his efforts and the likes of Willie Donachie.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.