Joe Royle - has he been acknowledged enough?

I think Joe did a good job for City and a great job for Oldham. I actually went to see the latter play a couple of times during Joe's spell as manager and was really impressed at the performances he got out of such a cheaply assembled side.
It was an amazing achievement to get Oldham to the top flight and an FA Cup semi-final.
Him signing Alfie Haaland has got to have been a factor in us signing young Erling.
I'm surprised that some posters still seem to bear a grudge against him - what do they think about the likes of Clarke, Coppell etc?
Coppell liked a shower

As I've said before, I'm sure some fans just like to remember the bad bits about our managers rather than focus on the good bits. We've had it with Mancini, Pellegrini and I'm sure the same ones will be moaning about Pep when he goes. Honestly, some people need to focus on what is important!

Let's face facts, Joe Royle turned up at our club and it was an absolute mess. We'd spend a fortune on a collection of dreadful footballers and Royle sorted that out.

We were powderpuff and no one was scared of coming to Maine Road. We were a laughing stock. He brought in Andy Morrison for £80k and the rest is history, it's really as simple as that. We started to fight back and players like Morrison, Tiatto, Horlock, The Goat, Dickov etc started to win games for us alongside Cooke, Kennedy etc. It's absolutely correct to say that
Joe Royle turned this club around.

Royle dragged the club around and pulled us from Div 1 to the PL in successive seasons. How many other clubs have done that? That shows what a phenomenal achievement it was. He laid the path for KK to come in and thanks to the work Big Joe did, we ended up with Pep. I can't thank him enough.

Royle also did an phenomenal job at Oldham and if they'd been able to keep some of their players in those sides together, I'm sure they'd have ended up in Europe and maybe challenging for the title. Goram, Irwin, Barrett, Warhurst, Jobson, Henry, Holden, Ritchie, Marshall were superb footballers. He also won Everton the FA Cup which was a great achievement at the time as well.

Joe Royle is simply one of our finest managers. He was one of the few managers in the 90s to leave the club in a FAR better position than when he arrived.

The legal battle isn’t relevant to his performance as manager.

He felt wronged by the club and the club protected itself, simple as that.

It won’t detract from his achievements with us.

He lost his case and as many has said he is always respectful towards the club and especially the fans, decent bloke.

My issue with Royle was refusing to come and manage us earlier, before we had slipped down the league. I am convinced his style of management was right for us and the premier league then. When he did come he was right for us and the championship but not the EPL. Top flight football had changed and he hasn’t.

Rather than stay with his beloved Oldham he perhaps could have pushed us onto European qualification and ended our trophy drought a decade before than it was. As the game developed we would have moved him on for a more progressive man (Arsène Wenger???)

Don’t get me wrong I loved his tenure with us, but things could have much better.

I know, I am letting my imagination get the better of me and if my aunt had boll…etc. However success is as much about timing and circumstances as it is about talent and I am convinced that was a lost opportunity to avoid a lot of city heartache and enjoy city success in my youth! We could still have today’s success as well!
Would you have wanted to work for Peter fucking Swales?

From what I remember of that episode, it was Swales opening his big gob that put Joe - and Willie - off taking over. Our idiot former chairman just couldn’t help himself.

I will always have a lot of time for Joe and the great job he did at Maine Road. He brought our pride back, and in a strange twist of fate, upstaged the rags and their treble.

1999-2000 season was my first as a season-ticket holder, and it was a brilliant time to be Blue.

In answer to the OP's question, no, I don’t think Joe Royle get enough credit for the part he played in the turnaround in Manchester City’s fortunes.

Would you have wanted to work for Peter fucking Swales?

From what I remember of that episode, it was Swales opening his big gob that put Joe - and Willie - off taking over. Our idiot former chairman just couldn’t help himself.

I will always have a lot of time for Joe and the great job he did at Maine Road. He brought our pride back, and in a strange twist of fate, upstaged the rags and their treble.

1999-2000 season was my first as a season-ticket holder, and it was a brilliant time to be Blue.

In answer to the OP's question, no, I don’t think Joe Royle get enough credit for the part he played in the turnaround in Manchester City’s fortunes.
Ha! Good point, I’m not sure what you mean about Swales’ big gob putting him off, my recollection is of Oldham fans chanting for him to stay tugging on his Lancastrian heartstrings.

No doubt he played an important part in our history and perhaps he doesn’t get the credit he deserves, however Swales or no Swales he came a decade too late (and Swales stayed a decade too long!).

As I've said before, I'm sure some fans just like to remember the bad bits about our managers rather than focus on the good bits. We've had it with Mancini, Pellegrini and I'm sure the same ones will be moaning about Pep when he goes. Honestly, some people need to focus on what is important!

Let's face facts, Joe Royle turned up at our club and it was an absolute mess. We'd spend a fortune on a collection of dreadful footballers and Royle sorted that out.

We were powderpuff and no one was scared of coming to Maine Road. We were a laughing stock. He brought in Andy Morrison for £80k and the rest is history, it's really as simple as that. We started to fight back and players like Morrison, Tiatto, Horlock, The Goat, Dickov etc started to win games for us alongside Cooke, Kennedy etc. It's absolutely correct to say that
Joe Royle turned this club around.

Royle dragged the club around and pulled us from Div 1 to the PL in successive seasons. How many other clubs have done that? That shows what a phenomenal achievement it was. He laid the path for KK to come in and thanks to the work Big Joe did, we ended up with Pep. I can't thank him enough.

Royle also did an phenomenal job at Oldham and if they'd been able to keep some of their players in those sides together, I'm sure they'd have ended up in Europe and maybe challenging for the title. Goram, Irwin, Barrett, Warhurst, Jobson, Henry, Holden, Ritchie, Marshall were superb footballers. He also won Everton the FA Cup which was a great achievement at the time as well.

Joe Royle is simply one of our finest managers. He was one of the few managers in the 90s to leave the club in a FAR better position than when he arrived.
Great post mate

Joe could assemble a sqaud of scrappers/fighters which was needed to get us out of the mire , will always get the respect of the majority of our fans from that era. Considering the financial state of the club he worked miracles and saved us from a long time in the wilderness , we could have been another Sunderland spending years in the lower tiers but Big Joe gave us back our pride.
But he will always be an Everton legend as a scouser playing and managing his boyhood club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.