John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he still doesn't understand when to just get rid of the ball. It comes across as arrogant at times (he wasn't even LOOKING when he cost us the points against Southampton) and it needs to change.

I think he still doesn't understand when to just get rid of the ball. It comes across as arrogant at times (he wasn't even LOOKING when he cost us the points against Southampton) and it needs to change.

He gets caught out when other people fuck up. That's his inexperience. For the Southampton goal, Sané was not where he was supposed to be so he couldn't pass to him. Kompany was in an awful position, then realised and moved just as Stones was passing. Kompany had never played in a back 3 before and clearly wasn't comfortable with it. It's not arrogance to assume the player you're playing with is going to be where he's supposed to be. Christ if Barcelona players got slated for not looking at the recipient every time they passed they'd be fucking nowhere. Only people desperate to pursue an "arrogant" angle (which has always followed the CB who dares to play with the ball at feet) would accuse him of that over something each player on the pitch does multiple times per game.

The other thing he needs is to bulk up a bit, which will come with age and time in the gym, so he can keep on doing things like fending off Costa while the ball goes out of play.

He gets caught out when other people fuck up. That's his inexperience. For the Southampton goal, Sané was not where he was supposed to be so he couldn't pass to him. Kompany was in an awful position, then realised and moved just as Stones was passing. Kompany had never played in a back 3 before and clearly wasn't comfortable with it. It's not arrogance to assume the player you're playing with is going to be where he's supposed to be. Christ if Barcelona players got slated for not looking at the recipient every time they passed they'd be fucking nowhere. Only people desperate to pursue an "arrogant" angle (which has always followed the CB who dares to play with the ball at feet) would accuse him of that over something each player on the pitch does multiple times per game.

The other thing he needs is to bulk up a bit, which will come with age and time in the gym, so he can keep on doing things like fending off Costa while the ball goes out of play.

I see where you're coming from bu we are not nearly at the level where players can assume exactly where the other will be, especially not that far down the pitch.

I'm more than happy to have ball-playing CB's, but that was Stones' mistake, it was very avoidable and it shouldn't be happening at this level.

I see where you're coming from bu we are not nearly at the level where players can assume exactly where the other will be, especially not that far down the pitch.

I'm more than happy to have ball-playing CB's, but that was Stones' mistake, it was very avoidable and it shouldn't be happening at this level.

No, it was a compound mistake, and you're incorrectly placing all the blame on one player.

No, it was a compound mistake, and you're incorrectly placing all the blame on one player.
Kompany and Sané were both out of position in a system they'd never played before. That is to be expected. In my opinion that can be forgiven but passing to nobody can't.

Kompany and Sané were both out of position in a system they'd never played before. That is to be expected. In my opinion that can be forgiven but passing to nobody can't.

he didn't pass to nobody, he passed to where Kompany was 5 seconds earlier before running out of position.

Not sure why Stones is castigated by all and sundry the media are having a field day with every very minor error blown out of all proportion , he playing at a new club in an unsettled back three or four with a keeper new to the premier league , he is actually our best defender and head and shoulders the best England have got . He is being treated similar to Sterling, is it a coincidence the two most criticised England players happen to play for us ? Delph must be quite happy he's injured all the time at least he isnt getting the dogs abuse Stones and Sterling have endured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.