John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only positive I can take from tonight is I thought Stones and Otamendi did well in defence. Once they have proper full backs next to them the defence will be fine.

We need a left back now otherwise I'm worried abour top 4. If they stay fit think Sagna & Zab can see us to end of the season at RB, I thought Zab had a v/good game vs Liverpool but Kolarov is a liability at left back!!

I think it is worth noting that he was on the right side yesterday. I think that they were trying to get him used to the left so he could partner Kompany but he keeps his body open on the left to receive and it nullifies some of his best threat. Looked far more at home on the right and played a stronger match there. He's two footed so I can understand shifting him but he may just need to occupy RCB

Excellent.....

He struggles with a narrative mate, he's home for the holidays I think... Back to monitored internet access now in the new year!!

Yes I am sure you understood
"He did a slide tackle,O,"
Maybe just you level of football acumen.

Did you watch yaya cast a spell on the liverpool midfield. Or were you still under your own soft putty spell.

Last edited:
Yes I am sure you understood
"He did a slide tackle,O,"
Maybe just you level of football acumen.

Did you watch yaya cast a spell on the liverpool midfield. Or were you still under your own soft putty spell.

As stated, and this must be your age being unable to compute, but I actually agreed with you that Yaya shouldn't start. It's a really sad tale that you manifest what you 'believe' you read and what the reality is - basically, and what you've reinforced in this thread, is that you're unable to follow a narrative, something I told you in 'post one'....

Professing intelligence doesn't make it so....... It's over your head, I get it now, sorry for antagonising, I should learn to be more humble in 2017!!

I think it is worth noting that he was on the right side yesterday. I think that they were trying to get him used to the left so he could partner Kompany but he keeps his body open on the left to receive and it nullifies some of his best threat. Looked far more at home on the right and played a stronger match there. He's two footed so I can understand shifting him but he may just need to occupy RCB
I really don't think Kompany is in the reckoning.

I thought that having a player like Stones would allow our midfielders to push up higher, with his ability to pass between the lines. Yet Silva, Yaya and KDB still come extremely deep for the ball.

I've not really seen anything of Stones' passing ability yet, apart from a couple of top class through balls to Redmond and Vardy.

Who says they are taking liberties? Its a fine line knowing when to release the ball, and generally, they have been getting it right, save for the blind back passes. Get used to it, as it wont change to suit panicky fans

I know its a fine line but we're pushing it too much imo. John Stones is the biggest culprit once he gets the balance right we'll k have a player. Thought he was good vs Liverpool tho

I thought that having a player like Stones would allow our midfielders to push up higher, with his ability to pass between the lines. Yet Silva, Yaya and KDB still come extremely deep for the ball.

I've not really seen anything of Stones' passing ability yet, apart from a couple of top class through balls to Redmond and Vardy.

People are confusing ability on the ball with passing ability.

Stones isn't a phenomenal passer, he's a good passer, accurate, and can pass his way out of trouble but he's not going to hit through balls for aguero or 50 yard diagonals.

What he's exceptional at is beating defenders and moving into midfield, creating forward impetus and putting the opposition on the back foot. He's beaten more defenders than any other centre back in Europe this season. It's that quality which Pep values so highly in his centre-backs, and why he's used midfielders there in the past. Get past the first defender, get the opposition out of shape, create forward momentum.

Also I'm not sure why anyone would expect a player like Yaya not to drop deep for the ball? Guardiola's teams have always had defensive midfielders who drop between the centre-backs, about as deep as it's possible, and it's been the same as long as he's been here as well.

People are confusing ability on the ball with passing ability.

Stones isn't a phenomenal passer, he's a good passer, accurate, and can pass his way out of trouble but he's not going to hit through balls for aguero or 50 yard diagonals.

What he's exceptional at is beating defenders and moving into midfield, creating forward impetus and putting the opposition on the back foot. He's beaten more defenders than any other centre back in Europe this season. It's that quality which Pep values so highly in his centre-backs, and why he's used midfielders there in the past. Get past the first defender, get the opposition out of shape, create forward momentum.

Also I'm not sure why anyone would expect a player like Yaya not to drop deep for the ball? Guardiola's teams have always had defensive midfielders who drop between the centre-backs, about as deep as it's possible, and it's been the same as long as he's been here as well.
Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.