John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are confusing ability on the ball with passing ability.

Stones isn't a phenomenal passer, he's a good passer, accurate, and can pass his way out of trouble but he's not going to hit through balls for aguero or 50 yard diagonals.

What he's exceptional at is beating defenders and moving into midfield, creating forward impetus and putting the opposition on the back foot. He's beaten more defenders than any other centre back in Europe this season. It's that quality which Pep values so highly in his centre-backs, and why he's used midfielders there in the past. Get past the first defender, get the opposition out of shape, create forward momentum.

Also I'm not sure why anyone would expect a player like Yaya not to drop deep for the ball? Guardiola's teams have always had defensive midfielders who drop between the centre-backs, about as deep as it's possible, and it's been the same as long as he's been here as well.
You're right in everythin, so just a small observation: Boateng wasn't known for his diagonal long passes to the free attackers until Pep's time at Bayern, and he mastered it through via additional hours put into training, so it's not totally far-fetched that once Stones will become a player like that, also I guess this is one of the reasons why we see Kolarov so much playing at centre back as currently he is the best at it.

I think Stones is already capable of accurate long passes, it's just that his technique is a bit shit for such thing, i.e., he has that 'sliced' style for it, which slows down the trajectory of the ball, but maybe with time we will see an improvement in this as well.

You're right in everythin, so just a small observation: Boateng wasn't known for his diagonal long passes to the free attackers until Pep's time at Bayern, and he mastered it through via additional hours put into training, so it's not totally far-fetched that once Stones will become a player like that, also I guess this is one of the reasons why we see Kolarov so much playing at centre back as currently he is the best at it.

I think Stones is already capable of accurate long passes, it's just that his technique is a bit shit for such thing, i.e., he has that 'sliced' style for it, which slows down the trajectory of the ball, but maybe with time we will see an improvement in this as well.

I also agree, I've seen Stones hit some superb crossfield passes to springboard attacks.

Thought he was really good tonight, as well as Otamendi. Although Stones could've cost us a goal when he stood off Antonio and let him get a shot away, I think he needs to be a bit braver in one on one situations. And he looked ecstatic when he got his goal. Hopefully he scores a lot more of those for us!

He was better second half when Pep obviously told him to defend on the front foot. Made up for him that he got his first goal. He's a good option to have when taking corners.

He was better second half when Pep obviously told him to defend on the front foot. Made up for him that he got his first goal. He's a good option to have when taking corners.
Happy for him and that we finally scored from a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.