John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great player we have already starting to lead. Great to it's like he has been here years and settled so well. The way he always creates space and angles. Very intelligent player.

Most post-match Ratings have given him mediocre marks, but I'm with the majority here. Thought he had a solid game in defence and showed some very good enterprise getting into midfield that we were sorely missing in the Celtic game.

There in lies the problem I whined about all summer. He didn't make many brIn farts. The few he did were just overblown and overplayed. So far he has made 6 mistakes by my count for City. But none have led to goals, so no overblown media coverage.

I kept pointing folks to the obvious during the summer. He made fewer errors than any of our Central defenders 'per minute' last season. Fewer than Kompany, Ota, Mang or MD. But folks just got hypnotized by the 3 errors that led to goals, and started making up other errors by association.

Nothing he has done here is surprising, unusual or unexpected. Thia was how he played at Everton most of last season. Folks just chose not to watch. I downloaded about 15 Everton games and watched them all. I was sold by game 5. He was an unhidden gem wrapped in talking heads bullshit.

Sadly too many bought the bullshit.
Mistakes/brain farts werent my concern. A lot of what he was doing wrong can be sorted with coaching/instruction and growing up.

But I thought his positional play was poor last season, and for me his qualities on the ball counted for little if he couldnt defend properly.

Been very pleased with his first few months though. With the ball it's what I expected but he's been an excellent presence in defence. And shown leadership skills I don't think he ever showed at Everton.

I said in the summer that I don't see it with Stones but so many others do so I was happy to wait and see, hopefully they were right and I was wrong.

So far so good.

Mistakes/brain farts werent my concern. A lot of what he was doing wrong can be sorted with coaching/instruction and growing up.

But I thought his positional play was poor last season, and for me his qualities on the ball counted for little if he couldnt defend properly.

Been very pleased with his first few months though. With the ball it's what I expected but he's been an excellent presence in defence. And shown leadership skills I don't think he ever showed at Everton.

I said in the summer that I don't see it with Stones but so many others do so I was happy to wait and see, hopefully they were right and I was wrong.

So far so good.
Let me just post this reminder again:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.