John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mistakes/brain farts werent my concern. A lot of what he was doing wrong can be sorted with coaching/instruction and growing up.

But I thought his positional play was poor last season, and for me his qualities on the ball counted for little if he couldnt defend properly.

Been very pleased with his first few months though. With the ball it's what I expected but he's been an excellent presence in defence. And shown leadership skills I don't think he ever showed at Everton.

I said in the summer that I don't see it with Stones but so many others do so I was happy to wait and see, hopefully they were right and I was wrong.

So far so good.
I pointed this out as nauseum over the summer on that famous John Stones thread. I Pointed out his leadership skills were undeniable. I posted video evidence example after video evidence example. I asked folks to watch videos I posted and pointed out how men 2ice his age differed to him. On numerous occasions, Barry, Jageilka would differ to him instinctively. He has always oozed leadership. All the pointing out where players should be, go or stand, he was doing at Everton. I repeated it till I got tired.
His ability to take fantastic positions to the ball was evident on so many of those videos. It seems too many didn't watch them :(

Sadly, he hasn't blown me away coz I've seen most of what he is doing now before. I'm.waiting for when he makes that next level jump personally. This is what I expected his start to be. No surprises here for me yet. When he starts scoring headers on corners. Screamers from outside the box, and mentally imposing his will on top strikers, that's when I'll be impressed. Right now he is just as good as I thought he'll be. Hence why I was one of the all in for him crew.

NB: I was later called our on this as he wasn't playing with any 40 yearolds :)

Last edited:
I would guess we will be looking to add a young centre back opposite him next summer that will become our defensive partnership of the future. Unless Pep makes Tosin a full-time first team member. Think Pep will make him world class and being English and the chance to captain us and win trophies should mean we'll have him as long as we'd like, which should be the best years of his career.

I pointed this out as nauseum over the summer on that famous John Stones thread. I Pointed out his leadership skills were undeniable. I posted video evidence example after video evidence example. I asked folks to watch videos I posted and pointed out how men 2ice his age differed to him. On numerous occasions, Barry, Jageilka would differ to him instinctively. He has always oozed leadership. All the pointing out where players should be, go or stand, he was doing at Everton. I repeated it till I got tired.
His ability to take fantastic positions to the ball was evident on so many of those videos. It seems too many didn't watch them :(

Sadly, he hasn't blown me away coz I've seen most of what he is doing now before. I'm.waiting for when he makes that next level jump personally. This is what I expected his start to be. No surprises here for me yet. When he starts scoring headers on corners. Screamers from outside the box, and mentally imposing his will on top strikers, that's when I'll be impressed. Right now he is just as good as I thought he'll be. Hence why I was one of the all in for him crew.

For me Jagielka was the leader of that defence last season. Was hard for Stones as he was often played at fullback.

But the whole defence seemed lost when Jagielka wasnt playing.

To be fair they werent that great when he was playing.

You also forgot to add to wait for when kompany comes back, that's when we'll see him on another level

Stones is shaping up very nicely, into being one of the best centre backs in the world, just wish Vinnie was alongside him, not even the All Blacks would get past this combination firing on all cylinders..!

Once again the English media are obsessed with him booting the ball clear. That article praises him for booting the ball rather than play it out. Everything wrong with English football in one sentence and why the national team are shite who can't even pass to each other.
Spot on.not read the article,don't need to.you have nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.