John Wardle

'I heard a story that when he paid the wages he went to Carrington to watch training..

Mark Hughes told him that he couldnt watch as it was a football factory, players and staff only..'

If that is true then Mark Hughes has gone in my estimation. I hope it is'nt true.

Prestwich_Blue said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Did he get all his money back in the end?
No I believe he didn't. When Shinawatra bought the club, as part of that he bought the loans that he and David Makin had made (which totalled something like £20m). As part of the deal he paid them part of that (I've read £17.5m but also heard people say it was less than that) in return for the loans being re-assigned to him.

So he paid £17.5m for loans that were worth £20m plus substantial accrued interest. When the Sheikh bought the club, Shinawatra took the whole £20m plus the interest. Wardle made other temporary loans to the club during the Shinawatra ownership but I believe he got these back in full.

These were interest bearing loans so while they were obviously incredibly helpful and needed, they were lent on the basis that they would be returned WITH PROFIT. That doesn't sound entirely altruistic to me.

Balti said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
No I believe he didn't. When Shinawatra bought the club, as part of that he bought the loans that he and David Makin had made (which totalled something like £20m). As part of the deal he paid them part of that (I've read £17.5m but also heard people say it was less than that) in return for the loans being re-assigned to him.

So he paid £17.5m for loans that were worth £20m plus substantial accrued interest. When the Sheikh bought the club, Shinawatra took the whole £20m plus the interest. Wardle made other temporary loans to the club during the Shinawatra ownership but I believe he got these back in full.

These were interest bearing loans so while they were obviously incredibly helpful and needed, they were lent on the basis that they would be returned WITH PROFIT. That doesn't sound entirely altruistic to me.

I think you are wrong - maybe you know the real facts but from most Blues I have spoken to I think Wardle and Makin lost a lot of money on City - very straight and decent Blues who did loads to save the club, got a lot of time for both of them - if someone can prove they made money out of City let's hear about it, but I think not. Gary James do you know?

Wardle top man he got rid of FRANK CLARKE and got joe royle in with the help of DENNIS TUEART!!!!!!!!!

Balti said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

They were interest-bearing loans but he didn't actually take the interest (mainly because we couldn't afford to pay it). It was added onto the loan. As a result, when he sold to Thaksin he was owed all the capital (£16m) plus the accrued interest of about £4m. He got no more than £15m and maybe less. When he originally lent us the money he knew he might never get it back. I'd say that was reasonably altruistic.

Remember going to a few fans forums at Eastlands back in the days when Pearce was manager and Wardle was often there. He'd be stood having a pint just chatting with City fans, you wouldn't get many Premier League chairmen doing that. Sometimes he'd take part in the Q&A as well and always spoke very passionately about City, you could tell he was a genuine guy who cared about the club but was limited in how far he could take us.

One memorable quote was one someone had mentioned "that" banner at Old Trafford and Wardle said "they can shove it where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned..."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.