Johnson was as committed to Northern Powerhouse Rail as he had been to Crossrail

Crossrail 2 will be handy in as much as its northern stop will define where "The North" starts for the govt

I know you're joking, but the current plan does nothing of the sort. No-one thinks Broxbourne is 'the north'.

It's a very odd-looking line proposal - it'll relieve some pressure on one north London commuter line (Alexandra Palace area), and some in SW London. I don't know what they are actually claiming it will help with.

I know you're joking, but the current plan does nothing of the sort. No-one thinks Broxbourne is 'the north'.

It's a very odd-looking line proposal - it'll relieve some pressure on one north London commuter line (Alexandra Palace area), and some in SW London. I don't know what they are actually claiming it will help with.

It will help with job creation in Greater London - that seems to be all that matters to him

You need to make a fair comparison here because did the services in Finland or Sweden already exist albeit on antiquated old lines? If they had an old line already performing those services then there's no chance that they'd build a separate competing line purely for speed or even capacity.

It's worth noting that the trains that we do have aren't slow, the Virgin trains for example get up to 130mph. There is just no need for an alternative service on a completely separate line that just so happens to go a bit faster, that is the idiocy of HS2.

The reality is that people will choose the cheaper option over the faster option and I'll bet my house that once HS2 opens it's trains will be empty and the Virgin type trains will continue to be packed to the rafters. For other countries there aren't two options so it's not a fair comparison.

You are still making excuses for not doing something and saying it is unfair to compare us to other European countries that have done something. European countries also faced challenges based on geography or history or politics and most have done something, recognising decades ago that high speed rail and greater rail capacity is an asset.

With climate change, rail is back in focus and Europe is looking at expanding rail usage for passengers and goods and high speed rail connections between major capitals. We keep doing studies and making plans about what we need to do and then never actually doing it or trying to ‘bodge it and make do’. I mean, anyone confident that these watered down rail plans for the North will ever materialise?

You are still making excuses for not doing something and saying it is unfair to compare us to other European countries that have done something. European countries also faced challenges based on geography or history or politics and most have done something, recognising decades ago that high speed rail and greater rail capacity is an asset.

With climate change, rail is back in focus and Europe is looking at expanding rail usage for passengers and goods and high speed rail connections between major capitals. We keep doing studies and making plans about what we need to do and then never actually doing it or trying to ‘bodge it and make do’. I mean, anyone confident that these watered down rail plans for the North will ever materialise?

Thats the issue Bob -Johnson lied about a commitment to deliver HS2 so why should we believe a commitment to these watered down proposals? Govt debt has soared and the economy is tanking - labour shortages - rising inflation - I have no confidence that anything promised yesterday will progress to completion

China built one of the worlds dams to generate electricity took them 4 year! They talking about 20 years for hs2 why so long I know channel tunnel took 16 years but that was a tunnel!

China relocated 4m people destroyed over 1300 villages, 140 towns and 13 cities that were thousands of years old along with ancient monuments. They’ve since been plagued with earthquakes and landslides

We have to down tools for weeks on end if we find a newt.

So not really comparable is it? Unless you’d think wiping out 13 cities wouldn’t be a problem? Would certainly save having to worry about building a train line between them ;)

Making excuses for this government is what he does best tbf.

China relocated 4m people destroyed over 1300 villages, 140 towns and 13 cities that were thousands of years old along with ancient monuments. They’ve since been plagued with earthquakes and landslides

So not really comparable is it? Unless you’d think wiping out 13 cities wouldn’t be a problem? Would certainly save having to worry about building a train line between them ;)

No it’s not and new all that read up on it! They don’t piss about when they want something done!

Our base comparison is Europe. Germany lags behind France because they faced years of political and legal delays which had to be overcome. Similar countries with similar issues. What can be done there can be done here. It’s a question of wanting to and clearly we don’t. So, let’s stop producing reports recommending we need this or that rail link, promising to do it and then reneging.

I don't think they are excuses, it's just reality. Building things is much harder here because more or less everything already exists albeit usually in an older (and crapper) form. You then have to get around the legal issues and problems of building.

In other countries they didn't have these pre-existing railway lines so they could build and dedicate them from scratch for high speed trains. Look at the Channel Tunnel, it didn't exist so they built it, it's silly to compare that with the victorian age Manchester to Leeds line.

I looked and more or less the entirety of the Italian high-speed train network was built within the last 20 years. However, one line in Italy travelling 96 miles cost them £6 billion but HS2 here travelling just 200 miles will apparently cost £107 billion. Clearly the technical problems of acquiring land and building the thing is a huge problem too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.