Johnson was as committed to Northern Powerhouse Rail as he had been to Crossrail

It's extremely difficult to have very high-speed rail here because of the geography and historic lines. The lines we already have are not straight and level for long periods so a train pelting by at 150mph+ would crash. The weather is also awful for 6-8 months of the year so chances are you won't be moving fast most of the time anyway.

We could build new lines as with HS2 but you still have the same problems and you cannot just bulldoze everything in your way to make the lines straight. They are trying but that's why the project is going to cost us all £100's of billions.

Rail here is just like our broadband network, it's based upon centuries old infrastructure which has to be replaced completely before it can be improved and that's expensive. For other countries it's different as they have less developed populations and could start almost from scratch in some cases.
This is the problem that a lot of people overlook. Even small infrastructure projects aren't easy undertakings.

I currently live in Lincoln, and anyone who's ever been here will know its a historic town, built on Roman infrastructure (founded in the 1st century AD). You can't just chuck a new lane next to the existing road. Until very recently the traffic through the centre of the town was fairly crap until the Eastern Bypass was opened.

The land upon which the bypass was built is not massively suited to just doing a bit of digging for the foundations and laying a bit of tarmac down, and I suspect this is a similar for any new rail infrastructure.

China built one of the worlds dams to generate electricity took them 4 year! They talking about 20 years for hs2 why so long I know channel tunnel took 16 years but that was a tunnel!

It's extremely difficult to have very high-speed rail here because of the geography and historic lines. The lines we already have are not straight and level for long periods so a train pelting by at 150mph+ would crash. The weather is also awful for 6-8 months of the year so chances are you won't be moving fast most of the time anyway.

We could build new lines as with HS2 but you still have the same problems and you cannot just bulldoze everything in your way to make the lines straight. They are trying but that's why the project is going to cost us all £100's of billions.

Rail here is just like our broadband network, it's based upon centuries old infrastructure which has to be replaced completely before it can be improved and that's expensive. For other countries it's different as they have less developed populations and could start almost from scratch in some cases.

The UK has a more temperate climate than continental Europe. Less hot in the summer, less cold in the winter. Finland and Sweden has more high speed track and neither are noted for their warm climate. Equally it’s not so much about speed, but capacity. Upgraded and new infrastructure to allow more capacity, which is a bit like the internet. We have invested in and upgraded our internet network making it faster and able to carry more data. Over the decades we have failed to invest in rail. We keep failing to do so and keep falling behind. We also keep making excuses. Geography, history, a ‘more developed population’ etc., as if somehow we are unique. We aren’t. We are just good at making excuses for not doing things.

China built one of the worlds dams to generate electricity took them 4 year! They talking about 20 years for hs2 why so long I know channel tunnel took 16 years but that was a tunnel!
China are rich due to all their resources, have no opposition, cheap labour, no need to justify the costs and the government don't have to worry about failure to achieve an ROI - if they even set one.

Apart from that it's a direct comparison.

The UK has a more temperate climate than continental Europe. Less hot in the summer, less cold in the winter. Finland and Sweden has more high speed track and neither are noted for their warm climate. Equally it’s not so much about speed, but capacity. Upgraded and new infrastructure to allow more capacity, which is a bit like the internet. We have invested in and upgraded our internet network making it faster and able to carry more data. Over the decades we have failed to invest in rail. We keep failing to do so and keep falling behind. We also keep making excuses. Geography, history, a ‘more developed population’ etc., as if somehow we are unique. We aren’t. We are just good at making excuses for not doing things.
You need to make a fair comparison here because did the services in Finland or Sweden already exist albeit on antiquated old lines? If they had an old line already performing those services then there's no chance that they'd build a separate competing line purely for speed or even capacity.

It's worth noting that the trains that we do have aren't slow, the Virgin trains for example get up to 130mph. There is just no need for an alternative service on a completely separate line that just so happens to go a bit faster, that is the idiocy of HS2.

The reality is that people will choose the cheaper option over the faster option and I'll bet my house that once HS2 opens it's trains will be empty and the Virgin type trains will continue to be packed to the rafters. For other countries there aren't two options so it's not a fair comparison.

The reality is that people will choose the cheaper option over the faster option and I'll bet my house that once HS2 opens it's trains will be empty and the Virgin type trains will continue to be packed to the rafters. For other countries there aren't two options so it's not a fair comparison.

ever been on the M6 toll? Same story - its only used by vehicles who's drivers are able to reclaim the toll - would be the same with HS2 trains - the only users will be business travellers who can reclaim the cost of an expensive ticket on their expenses

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.