Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the basis of last night, with how far we push up when attacking, suspect to balls over the top and out wide, the last thing we need is a slow CB with a turning circle of a Boeng 777. I think Evans is actually quite good, but the way we play with so many players pushed forward you can't help but worry that he's not the answer either. Evans is good technically but very slow.

Last night was a marker for what to expect all season, teams will sit back and then pump it long to some youthful and pacey strikers. Causes us so much trouble, I had never even heard of the Everton lad last night but he did a hell of a job on the counter just by being quick. Genuine question because I have no idea, how do we stop / counter that approach? Is it a DM instead?

He was too slow for the rag bus four years ago

Genuine question because I have no idea, how do we stop / counter that approach? Is it a DM instead?

No, just defend properly.

The ball over the top is supposed to be stopped by our pressing. If that can't be done then even if the left wing back is out of position (as Sane was last night) we have 3 CB's still as cover (against 1 forward)... It should be enough, but sadly none of our CB's are lightning quick and its easy to square them up.

Has he signed yet?

I don't want to get giddy until I see him holding our shirt.

The ball over the top is supposed to be stopped by our pressing. If that can't be done then even if the left wing back is out of position (as Sane was last night) we have 3 CB's still as cover (against 1 forward)... It should be enough, but sadly none of our CB's are lightning quick and its easy to square them up.
We desperately need a very quick centre back, would make a huge difference to us in the context of what our defence comes up against week in week out.

On the basis of last night, with how far we push up when attacking, suspect to balls over the top and out wide, the last thing we need is a slow CB with a turning circle of a Boeng 777. I think Evans is actually quite good, but the way we play with so many players pushed forward you can't help but worry that he's not the answer either. Evans is good technically but very slow.

Last night was a marker for what to expect all season, teams will sit back and then pump it long to some youthful and pacey strikers. Causes us so much trouble, I had never even heard of the Everton lad last night but he did a hell of a job on the counter just by being quick. Genuine question because I have no idea, how do we stop / counter that approach? Is it a DM instead?

But last night also showed how difficult this system can be for us without a left footed CB. Kompany and Otamendi both struggled playing and distributing on the left when the other team gave them space and forced the CBs to make some passes. I struggle with Evans as much as many do here but it's not hard to see why we're looking at HG left footed CBs

It is a damn shame we cant teach Mangala to be comfortable on the ball, otherwise he would be perfect.

Agreed. But that's the last thing evans is. I'm afraid Pep get it badly wrong tactically last night. Sané was struggling big time to cope, in an unfamiliar left wing-back position, long before we conceded, but Pep didn't remedy the situation early enough, and paid the price, in my opinion.
Much like the Chelsea game here last year when, despite at least 3 prior warnings, he completely ignored what was a simple tactical, second half, change by Conte (I.e. a simple ball over the top of the back four) which was the root cause of all the 3 goals we conceded that day

Last edited:
We desperately need a very quick centre back, would make a huge difference to us in the context of what our defence comes up against week in week out.

What about a tall FB capable of playing as CB (preferably left footed)? Hear me out. On many occasions last night you're right, VK was coming forward down the left inside channel, getting across the half way line then turning back and playing it back to Ota or Stones. It was so awkward to watch. A LFB playing in that position would have the speed to turn and get back in if we give the ball away and preferably be able to play it forward and drive into space. At times last night I was screaming for Danillo to come on and do just that.

Guess that suggests Gibson is a better option than Evans but not sure how good he is.

What about a tall FB capable of playing as CB (preferably left footed)? Hear me out. On many occasions last night you're right, VK was coming forward down the left inside channel, getting across the half way line then turning back and playing it back to Ota or Stones. It was so awkward to watch. A LFB playing in that position would have the speed to turn and get back in if we give the ball away and preferably be able to play it forward and drive into space. At times last night I was screaming for Danillo to come on and do just that.

Guess that suggests Gibson is a better option than Evans but not sure how good he is.
Not sure who the answer is if we are going to try to solve it relatively cheaply and like you haven't seen enough of Gibson to judge him. Just wish we'd give the position the same kind of importance as other areas because VVD would be perfect really. Quick, strong, decent enough on the ball and comfortable on the left hand side of central defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.