Josko Gvardiol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point made above is partly correct in that it’s a business decision to let clubs like Brighton and Brentford try the players out in the PL first and then we pay them for taking the risk in the form of a large transfer fee.

However, we do sometimes follow their model of a sort. Akanji being the most recent example.

The most obvious example is Alvarez, many people in here didn't heard about him and questioning club decision to bring him over there assuming that he is just another CFG player.

Our club took the risk and it pay off with Alvarez.

The most obvious example is Alvarez, many people in here didn't heard about him and questioning club decision to bring him over there assuming that he is just another CFG player.

I'm not sure it was that much of an under the radar buy - True, he wasn't well know amongst fans, and in the Summer of 2021, he was being linked with some average clubs - but in the Autumn his form absolutely exploded.

By December/January, coming up to the time we actually bought him, he was hot property - arguably the hottest property in South American football at the time. The kind of clubs being linked were us, United, Real Madrid and Inter. He was scoring at better than a goal a game, and had a low release clause, and the signing was reported as a bit of a coup in most news outlets.

but didn’t you buy akanji from dortmund? that’s really a typical example of buying a player from a bundesliga top club.

gvardiol had multiple offers with i think less than 10 games for senior dinamo zagreb team, bielsa really wanted him in leeds and it was the best offer when it comes to money so even dinamo pressured him. he decided to sign for leipzig because they offered to loan him back to dinamo immediately and let him play there until upamecano leaves, and presented him with a good strategy for his development.

i think signing too early for a top pl club is the best way to ruin your career imho.
Yes Dortmund. My point isn’t the stature of the club we buy from but more the player himself and the fee paid. I don’t think there was a queue of clubs that wanted Akanji, more that City identified he had the skills we needed and those that he lacked were trainable.

Gvardiol is different as everyone wants him.

Last edited:

I thought about him as an example but then I remembered he was S American player of the year when we bought him so changed it to Akanji!

Im always curious why teams never try and sign the replacement for the big name player, go who dortmund leipzig are after buying not who they are selling
It's the nature of the beast, we're top dog now so your Leipzig's and Dortmund's will buy promising but raw young players and develop and play them in the 1st team for 2, 3 or 4 years and if they make the grade then the big clubs come swooping in.

Pretty much the only way that young players will make it at City is if they're come through our academy and have been slowly drip fed in. I do sometimes miss the days of Caton, Ransom, White et al but the upsides are pretty damned impressive.

It's the nature of the beast, we're top dog now so your Leipzig's and Dortmund's will buy promising but raw young players and develop and play them in the 1st team for 2, 3 or 4 years and if they make the grade then the big clubs come swooping in.

Pretty much the only way that young players will make it at City is if they're come through our academy and have been slowly drip fed in. I do sometimes miss the days of Caton, Ransom, White et al but the upsides are pretty damned impressive.
I can remember when we classed Ged Keegan, Tony Henry and Kenny Clements in that bracket.

I thought about him as an example but then I remembered he was S American player of the year when we bought him so changed it to Akanji!

Only very few in here that know him as South American player of the year while Akanji atleast being known playing for Dortmund in one of Europe top league.

Unless you already proven playing in Europe it's still big risk to take Alvarez directly from South America and I'm glad our club in this case took a risk rather letting the other club took a punt on him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.