Jules Koundé

Julien Laurens, when asked on the Football Weekly pod because he thought he was "Paris born and bred" by James Richardson yesterday (turns out he was born in Brooklyn but raised in Paris) if he was "good enough" for City, said:

"He's good enough for any club" but then stated he's short and "not so good in the air"

which led me to go..."huh?" since that doesn't quite match what we know, nor the statistics tell us.

Otherwise, he had nothing but praise for Kounde and said he's considered sure to make the French national team soon.
This Julien Laurens?

I think we need to stop placing so much emphasis on stats and comparisons to other players. I wonder how many of our most loved and successful players would have been dismissed by us by concentrating on stats and comparisons to other players. Stats help but they don't show the measure of the man and how he could fit into our way of playing they also don't show the passion or fight a player has. There have been many fantastic slightly shorter defenders so why his height is such an obsession I don't know. There is no way of knowing if Kounde will be a success but the same goes for Koulibaly neither player looks like they will be cheap so I would be rather take a chance on the player who has longevity and a chance to learn and grow with the team.
I agree with this. Franco Baresi, in many peoples opinion the greatest defender of all time was 5’ 9” but apparently he wouldn’t be suitable at City because he wasn’t tall enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.