Junior Football Coaching Question (update pg2)

Re: Junior Football Coaching Question

Own age group for now I think.

I think it is a bit odd that you would speak about a 5 year old 'dominating' a game

If you get the chance to, watch the 2 potential teams play and see how they play football and how the coaches are with the team. Go for the team that are coached to play the best 'football'. You find in junior football a lot of teams revolve around the bigger lads who can just kick the ball hard. This in the long run is of no benefit to anybody. In a few years the smaller lads who have had to work on skill to compensate for their lack of strength will become better players. If your lad is playing with technically better players he will improve much quicker.

117 M34 said:
Own age group for now I think.

I think it is a bit odd that you would speak about a 5 year old 'dominating' a game

Quite simple really, if a child plays a game ( any game) and has all the possession, scores all the goals and the opposition struggle to tackle or keep up with them, I would say its fair to refer to that as "dominating" the game.

So much so it doesn't benefit them or the children they're playing with.

But if you could offer up another word from your thesaurus that you don't find odd, I'd bd happy to use that instead :-)

Seems like you've got an idea of what's going to happen (it's a shame that there aren't more like you), but one thing to note - don't let him become pigeon holed into one position. It's much better for the development of the players to experience different pictures around the pitch.

Good luck!

My lad currently plays in an U13's league and has been playing junior football since he was 5 years old. I'm also the coach of his current football team, along with 2 other blokes.

At your lads age its classed as none competitive and the results only count in a league competition from U9's. Even then the scores, usually, aren't published until they reach U10's.

In my opinion, let your lad decide what he wants to do. At his age they aren't technically developed skillswise and its more to do with encouragement and being part of a team.

do both? one at each level seems logical to me, it is only 6/7 year olds so not likely to be *that* much difference surely? not like you've got to choose between u16 or u18

Not a lot of clubs have a under 5
Thought it started at under 7 myself, the club my lad plays for oh starts at under 7 so he played for them when he was 5 and I coached them for two years

Really brought him on and you could tell the diferance once he got to 7 and was playing with 7 year old just coming in.

Think kids just play for the fun untill 9 or 10 and u7s wasn't very competitive
I'd let him play above age untill the size started of the other lads started to make a impact on his enjoyment

Also may get overlooked by scouts if he playing above age as they would just assume he is that age...

My lad was 5 when he started and the same happened. He was asked to move up to the Under 7's. They were getting paggered every week though and then the club got reported for playing underage players so he had to move down. I noticed a huge difference in his enjoyment when he moved back down though.

Update for anyone interested.

He's now played the last 3 weekends of the U6 tournament (year above) and all going well, he's been invited to go and train with Burnley and Liverpool so far.

His coach has also said that a certain Manchester club (:-) have shown an interest in him training with them, but not heard anything else on that so we'll see what happens.

The coaches I've spoken to at the tournament have said that he should stay playing at a year up until the time comes where maybe it becomes a struggle and then drop him back to his true age group.

The main thing is he's enjoying it and I get to watch football at the weekend through the summer with a bacon butty and a coffee instead of being dragged around the shops.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback

Cheers

OxBlue

OxBlue said:
Update for anyone interested.

He's now played the last 3 weekends of the U6 tournament (year above) and all going well, he's been invited to go and train with Burnley and Liverpool so far.

His coach has also said that a certain Manchester club (:-) have shown an interest in him training with them, but not heard anything else on that so we'll see what happens.

The coaches I've spoken to at the tournament have said that he should stay playing at a year up until the time comes where maybe it becomes a struggle and then drop him back to his true age group.

The main thing is he's enjoying it and I get to watch football at the weekend through the summer with a bacon butty and a coffee instead of being dragged around the shops.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback

Cheers

OxBlue
Good stuff! Good luck to him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.