Just back and we lost because...

chazmcfc said:
of the epic fail of Barry and Irelands ability to CONTROL a midfield and because of our mentality that we can't win for shit away from home.

Barry may have an excuse in that he has played every game this season and needs a rest and Ireland may in that he plays just behind the forward, HOWEVER, there is no excuse for these two to be producing such utter puke on what seems to be a consistent basis.

Ireland and Barry must be dropped they are the main reason for our shortcomings.

On a positve note Viera looked world apart when he came on as did AJ, the two must play V Bolton.

We desperately need a midfield maestro in the summer.

Thought viera looked slow and too off the pace to be playing!!!
Ireland cannot play right mid / wing....end of! why do city managers play him there??
AJ looked good. City fans today were piss poor.....FFS when the going gets tough we need to get behind the team!!!
However thats what football is all about opinions.!!!

Its simple, we have appointed a Joker. This is what happens when people who know fuck all about football start poking their nose in football matters.

Bonol said:
Its simple, we have appointed a Joker. This is what happens when people who know fuck all about football start poking their nose in football matters.

Aye, because you and your vast experience of football know much more about the game than one of Italy's greatest ever players and one of their most successful ever managers.

I thought Barry was okay yesterday.Sadly okay would have made him one of our better players yesterday.

Damocles said:
Bonol said:

Aye, because you and your vast experience of football know much more about the game than one of Italy's greatest ever players and one of their most successful ever managers.

I assume he meant Garry Cook

chazmcfc said:
of the epic fail of Barry and Irelands ability to CONTROL a midfield and because of our mentality that we can't win for shit away from home.

Barry may have an excuse in that he has played every game this season and needs a rest and Ireland may in that he plays just behind the forward, HOWEVER, there is no excuse for these two to be producing such utter puke on what seems to be a consistent basis.

Ireland and Barry must be dropped they are the main reason for our shortcomings.

On a positve note Viera looked world apart when he came on as did AJ, the two must play V Bolton.

We desperately need a midfield maestro in the summer.
I thought Barry was our best midfielder, the only one who actually took the midfield fight to them. Ireland was non-existent and De Jong was far too deep. I think both Barry and De Jong are both suffering from playing alongside each other. For De Jong to be truly effective ala Makelele he needs real quality players, being creative and driving in front of him like Lampard, J.Cole etc. As in Barry, he needs the same type's of players, like he has for England, so he can concentrate on what he does best and not having to drive the midfield forward. These two playing together just shows both of their weaknesses IMO.

Platini Pollock said:
This so correct re Tevez and Adebayor.

here is no football chemistry between the 2.

I honestly think we cant play the 2 in the same team..........for me it is Tevez on his own up front with a 5 man midfield (inc 2 wide men) everytime.

Thats why we lost............Sorry but Adebayor is not the correct player for us.........End Of

2 goals in 2 games you fool.

We lost because Hull wanted it more.
It's a cliche, I know, but it's appropriate in this case.

MIDFIELD:
Was where we lost the game. So let's start there.
It's funny how people can watch a game and see different things. I thought that Barry and Ireland were both very poor and de Jong our only half-decent midfielder. Certainly, reading the stats on uncompleted passes for both Barry and Ireland should make them very uncomfortable this morning. Whatever the reason (injury, loss of form, played out of position etc) Barry is not a player at the top of his game and needs a break... soon! He was even pulling out of tackles yeaterday - and that's not like the guy, to be fair. Ironically, the one pass of threat that he made which actually found a City player, led to our goal. So, I'll give him credit for that. It was a bit of an oasis in a desert of anonymity, though.
Ireland? I know he's only coming back from injury and he was posted out wide (where he has never been as effective) but - and I admit that this might be a glib assumption - he does look like a guy that overtrained in the summer and he has never shown that infectious enthusiasm that he had last season. This is a guy who was being compared, more than favourably, to Scholes only eight or ten months ago!

Vieira did okay when he came on. Nothing more and nothing less. He was the victim of a very nasty challenge from Hunt and he rose to the bait in the same clumsy way that he always done throughout his career - by clocking the guy from behind and picking up a quick yellow card. He's always had his virtues (obviously!!) but without his old speed and that lung-bursting stamina, I fear that all we can expect is the odd cameo role, like yesterday. I hope I'm wrong but, being ruthlessly realistic (okay then, pessimistic), it's hard to call it any other way.

DEFENCE:
Toure and Boyata struggled all game. The sight, in slow-motion replay, of Toure getting out of the way of the shot that led to their first goal does not do him any favours. The guy had some ability, once. He's not shown a great deal of his old self at City, though. Some comentators are suggesting that Wenger sold us a pup. That's a bit harsh but the very fact that he's gving them the ammunition to get away with cracks like that is a comment in itself.
Boyata is a very promising player but he needs time out on loan; to hone his craft somewhere else. It'd be churlish to lay any blame at the kid's feet for yesterday's defeat, though.
Bridge looked rusty but then, Bridge has looked rusty all year. At times he struggled defensively. He made one great forward run at the end of the first half. The great indictment of City, as a whole, is that he was forced to play a hopeful shot into Myhill's near post because there was nobody (repeat: nobody!) in a blue shirt for him to square it towards.
Zabaleta did what he always does. Crashed into guys and let them "know he's there". He was one of the very few City players who seemed to understand what was needed yesterday.

FORWARDS:
Adebayor did okay and took his goal (alright it looked more like a push over try but hey...) well enough. The same truth is evident for him as Tevez - the service was woeful.
Tevez was, by and large, inadequate for large chunks of the game. (Again, the service was poor but sometimes forwards have to live on scraps. That's life). He did little or nothing, first half, to threaten the Hull goal (I think Bridge's shot was the only save Myhill had to make for the whole of the first half). He did have a snapshot at the end of the game that required a great save to deny us a point but, that aside, he seemed to spend more time running around like a headless chicken than anything else. It's harsh - to say the least of it - after his recent great run, to criticise him but if he didn't play well, there's no point in pretending that he did.
Bellamy was anonymous and turned in what was easily his worst performance in a City shirt. He's been grat all season and he's entitled to one duffer of a game, I suppose. So long as he doesn't make a habit of it.
Petrov didn't particularly impress when he came on. To be fair, he only had ten minutes, though.
Johnson was by far the brightest spot in our day. He looked very lively - especially when out on the right, oddly enough. Did enough to deserve a start v Bolton.

TACTICS:
We didn't so much get it wrong as get the attitude wrong. We could have done with SWP on the right instead of Ireland - then again, SWP was dreadful at the Swamp and hardly deserved to be retained in the side after that performance.
I would pick Onuoha over Boyata every time.
Given the team that was picked, I would have taken off Barry at half time, pushed Ireland into the centre and played SWP wide right and Johnson or Petrov on for Bellamy. If Ireland proved as ineffective there as he had been out wide, then I'd have put Vieira on for him.
It's worrying that we let Benjani (as average as he is) go and had no striker on the bench, yesterday.

Then again, hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.