Kalidou Koulibaly

Messi, Suarez, and Busquets are winning 1-0.
Barca are winning 1-0.

'Barca' or 'Barcelona' is a collection.
That's subjective due to interpretation. I can consider Barcelona as an individual entity and say Barcelona is winning 1-0. I wouldn't personally, but it's not wrong. There's no specific and explicit rule on this type of case for a reason.

Messi, Suarez, and Busquets are winning 1-0.
Barca are winning 1-0.

What is Barca or FC Barcelona?
'Barca' or 'FC Barcelona' is a collection.
In US English, grammatically they treat a team or a company as an entity as opposed to a group of people.

That's subjective due to interpretation. I can consider Barcelona as an individual entity and say Barcelona is winning 1-0. I wouldn't personally, but it's not wrong. There's no specific and explicit rule on this type of case for a reason.
is the Beetles also playing at the Camp Nou?

or

are the Beetles also playing at the Camp Nou?

is the Beetles also playing at the Camp Nou?

or

are the Beetles also playing at the Camp Nou?
It's plural, because the Beatles itself is a plural term.

The Who for instance can be either singular or plural.

In US English, grammatically they treat a team or a company as an entity as opposed to a group of people.

It's permissible in British English too, albeit less common.

A plural entity.

The Golden State Warriors are playing today.
Stephen Scurry is not playing today.

The Warriors is having a good game.
Draymond Green are not having a good game.
The Warriors are having a good game.

I notice they only do it with our sports teams though, not their own. Most NBA teams have a pluralised name, and even those that don't are referred to with plural adjectives. They say "The Miami Heat are..." not "The Miami Heat is..."

Plenty of stuff is plural or singular depending on how the speaker sees it, but a sure sign that someone either doesn't watch football or isn't a native speaker of English is when they use the singular verbs, because usage conventions definitely favour the plural and that's what literally everyone uses when talking about sports teams.

Can you not understand how crazy you sound? We'll be here long after Pep, as much as we absolutely love him and what he's done, it shouldn't change the reason why we sign players.

You know as well as I do, the same people were the ones saying we had to buy Alexis Sanchez because he would guarantee us the league and we were stupid not to spend the money, especially when he then went to United. It's fucking mental.
All we can do is trust the club to do the right thing

Yes we’ll be here after Pep, but Pep is here! Right now! Let’s make full use of that. And again, there’s no saying that Sanchez could’ve been a success for us.
That sounds even worse, you don't buy a player for a manager whose contract runs out in 12 months. It's a huge amount of money for a player who the new manager may not fancy, who would be very difficult to sell on because of his age and wages. That's the mistake United made with Ferguson, they fucked up the squad and brought in older players to give the pisscan a great send off. That destroyed any chance of future managers, they were stuck trying to get rid of the deadwood with no one coming through the ranks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.