Kalidou Koulibaly

How would it be a gamble in the sense that others wouldn't be? Nobody comes with any guarantees.
Exactly so why not see how Garcia, Tosin and Harwood-Bellis get on, when you have the "steady" option of Fernandinho backing them up for a minimum of a year.

Spunking £60-90m and big wages on a 29 year old is madness in those circumstances, it's as big a risk as Sanchez was at United. You won't admit it because you want to sign Koulibaly to satisfy your short term aspirations. Like I said originally there's no long term thoughts at all, it's just the here and now.

Tbf it says usually and not always, unlike the example of the police below. Technically Barcelona is winning 1-0 isn't incorrect, although less standard. The difference in a football team being singular or plural is contextual.
One sounds shite and is only used by Americans.

You’ve literally read the link. You know yourself which sounds correct.

Tell me about it. Pre-internet, Americans had a shockingly bad knowledge of other varieties of English.

But yeah, they definitely do it with our sports teams but not their own.

Compare this from ESPN:

To this from CNN:

Let's be honest, the main issue is that they're all over the fucking place. That second one had Liverpool referred to as singular, plural and then singular again in the same sentence. I was looking at examples of bands, and saw "Radiohead are..." and "The Who are..." but "Kings of Leon is..."

Anyway, Koulibaly.
They definitely do it with their own teams sometimes too.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article240812776.html

I don’t really know what the nuance is, but it seems pretty inconsistent.

They definitely do it with their own teams sometimes too.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article240812776.html

I don’t really know what the nuance is, but it seems pretty inconsistent.
It seems to me like a bunch of people fighting against their psychological reality that teams are a group, hence the inconsistency. They know what the rule says in American English or their journalistic style guides, but they also clearly see teams as a group of people, hence why almost all of them are given a plural name (those that aren't are only not because they've chosen a mass noun as their name) and why they constantly slip back into plurals when writing.

Exactly so why not see how Garcia, Tosin and Harwood-Bellis get on, when you have the "steady" option of Fernandinho backing them up for a minimum of a year.

Spunking £60-90m and big wages on a 29 year old is madness in those circumstances, it's as big a risk as Sanchez was at United. You won't admit it because you want to sign Koulibaly to satisfy your short term aspirations. Like I said originally there's no long term thoughts at all, it's just the here and now.

Mixing both experience and youthful enthusiasm is what we need. We need an experienced CB at the back. Koulibaly absolutely is that, I'd rather spend 60m on a guy who definitely can guarantee a higher level than taking a risk on another John Stones type.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.