Kalidou Koulibaly

So you’re one of those let’s hold out and see what we have types rather than being ambitious.
I love comments like comments this, if you don't want to spend £80-90m on a 29 year old CB, you have no ambition. Well actually no, it maybe that some of us feel that our defensive problems are caused by other factors (e.g. a combination of slow/aging players making our pressing game none existent and a lack of width meaning we get caught in possession too frequently), so don't believe signing a £80-90m CB will make much difference overall unless we eradicate those issues too, which will be less likely if half of our transfer budget is blown on such a player.

Well by all means feel free to show us all your staggeringly impressive portfolio. CFG have been really struggling on the business end of things recently so now's your chance to get your foot in the door.

One thing I will ask, if you can squeeze me in between your Gates and Bezos appointments, is where have I said we should get rid of Garcia?

He's a "prospect" for a reason.

He is a good footballer. I don't think he's got a cat in hell's chance of making it here as s cb, long term, personally, but I'm happy to see him get the chance to improve, so long as it's as 4th or 5th choice.

In the meantime, to operate at our best, we need the best cbs, fullbacks & def mids we can reasonably get.

Other teams are trying to improve in all areas.

I love comments like comments this, if you don't want to spend £80-90m on a 29 year old CB, you have no ambition. Well actually no, it maybe that some of us feel that our defensive problems are caused by other factors (e.g. a combination of slow/aging players making our pressing game none existent and a lack of width meaning we get caught in possession too frequently), so don't believe signing a £80-90m CB will make much difference overall unless we eradicate those issues too, which will be less likely if half of our transfer budget is blown on such a player.

I don't know why Garcia's even been brought into this and I feel like everyone's warping everyone else's argument to the point where people are losing sight of what the main debate on this subject is.

There's a decent chance we'll be losing two senior centrebacks this summer. It stands to reason that we'd be replacing them with two senior centrebacks.

If Garcia goes it will be because he wants to, not anyone else. And if that does happen we've got another young defender on the fringes of the first team.

All true but the new cb doesn't need to solve those problems on his own, just improve his area, & his unit, which then makes the job of improving the other areas a bit easier, & extra pace for example, at the back will help the midfield press in front of it.

Simple.

One would be stuck here for 4-5 years.
How you supposed to get rid of a 29 year old signed for a big fee & on massive wages?

and those saying ship off Garcia If it helps us win trophies, lol same one's crying about Foden & Sancho.

Foden and Sancho aren't/weren't getting paths blocked by the necessary purchase of a centre back. What a stupid comparison. At least its better than you suggestions of buying more 18-21 year olds... imagine how Garcia would feel then, instead of buying a prime defender for him to rotate with, he'd have 2/3 others his age to contend with! That'd be worse for Eric.

He is a good footballer. I don't think he's got a cat in hell's chance of making it here as s cb, long term, personally, but I'm happy to see him get the chance to improve, so long as it's as 4th or 5th choice.

In the meantime, to operate at our best, we need the best cbs, fullbacks & def mids we can reasonably get.

Other teams are trying to improve in all areas.

And that last part is worth keeping in mind. We need to be actively raising our level and addressing our shortcomings rather than passively sitting on what we have and hoping they get better.

It's the difference between those who stay at the top and those who hope to claw their way back up there.

That’s a fair take. How do you plan on eradicating our pressing issues without selling a single attacking / midfield senior player? Gundogan, mendy, Jesus, Rodri, and Mahrez aren’t moving so what exactly are you arguing for? We’re up for a massive upgrade in one position.

It be hard for a player to come in and be our leader on the pitch it takes time to earn respect from other team mates.

To those not in favour of Koulibaly who do you suggest? Bearing in mind it's pretty obvious the club wants a second choice at LCB (who ideally can play LB as well) and a starting quality RCB to be alongside Laporte for the majority of games. Who do you recommend?

I personally can't see better than Koulibaly and that's because of his age. He's a world class proven defender in his prime, 2-3 seasons at the top almost bridging the gap between him and Garcia, so when he leaves Garcia slots straight in as the absolute number one (having been rotating more and more) and we're looking for a backup again once Koulibaly ages out.

That’s a fair take. How do you plan on eradicating our pressing issues without selling a single attacking / midfield senior player? Gundogan, mendy, Jesus, Rodri, and Mahrez aren’t moving so what exactly are you arguing for? We’re up for a massive upgrade in one position.

Exactly.This is not a question of either/or. We can change the system get some midfield enforcement necessary but that shouldn't stop us from buying a defender. Ota and Stones are not cutting it anymore. Any change in a system may help them a little but they won't suddenly turn into world beaters.
The argument for left back makes sense though.
A system where we have a reliable left back, right back and Laporte plus someone like Partey in mid along with Rodri is a scenario where i won't be shitting bricks if the partner to Laporte is Ota/Stones.
We ain't looking for a left back. in Midfield Zakaria is the one we may go for. Hence Koulibaly makes sense for us imho

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.