Kalidou Koulibaly

Not much in it.
When has Mangala ever done the sort of stuff Koulibaly did under Sarri?

Mangala was constantly nervy and couldn't be trusted to play out the back, and Koulibaly is actually excellent at it.

I'm not saying Mangala can't pass by the way, but if he was anywhere near decent Pep wouldn't have got rid as quick as he did.

Mangala was constantly nervy and couldn't be trusted to play out the back, and Koulibaly is actually excellent at it.

I'm not saying Mangala can't pass by the way, but if he was anywhere near decent Pep wouldn't have got rid as quick as he did.

He was similar under Pellegrini with the high line and looked very comfortable on his debut against Chelsea. But Pellegrini plays similar defensive tactics to Pep and that really exposed Mangala's faults.

Last edited:
We’ve no choice! I’ll get behind anyone in a City shirt, no problem, but we are just discussing potential and possibilities.

I’ll even take Dunk if he can stop forwards, read the through ball, and defend a dead ball!!

We are literally naive, and I think it’s all coaching. We are ZONE ZONE ZONE about everything everywhere on the field, but allowing a rabbit to hang out between the CBs is criminal negligence, esp when you’re playing a high line, flat back four with full backs who lack the ability to NOT play people onside!!

I grew up with teenagers who understood this, but apparently RONDOs don’t teach this!

Need a defensive coach who actually knows how to defend! Our main form of defence is the “technical foul” in midfield, which means for half the game our midfielders are skating on thin ice and can’t make a tackle!
No disagreement with any of that, but in relation to Koulibaly, I think this one is probably on or just over the line, so don’t see the point in coveting anyone else now; in relation to Upamecano, if you can, watch his performances against Hertha or Dortmund to see a player who is good but still in development.

A defensive coach would be an extremely good idea, but so too would be picking a consistent back four and a left back. Koulibaly will bring stability, but if Guardiola has any more such ‘inspirational’ selections then it doesn’t matter who we sign.

We also have a major problem in conceding goals and allowing shots from outside the box, which is often down to us not deploying an aggressive presser in front of the back four. Maybe next summer...

Ake will easily keep Laporte on the bench next season based on the the performance of Laporte tonight.
No he wont,eric doesn't behave like that often,he has also been recovering from a long injury and niggles and the mental adjustment needed to trust his knee again,he is first on the team sheet ,ake will have to adjust to be his partner

Hard to believe that Mangala was so
Instrumental in this goal.

We also have a major problem in conceding goals and allowing shots from outside the box, which is often down to us not deploying an aggressive presser in front of the back four. Maybe next summer...
Luiz?

We don’t lose that many goals to long shots, but we are very tentative around the box because of the brilliant free kicks that happen routinely these days!

Hard to believe that Mangala was so
Instrumental in this goal.

I'll admit that's good but playing out the back under zero pressure doesn't put him anywhere near the level of Koulibaly.

It's not even that Mangala is bad per se, because he's not. It's just Koulibaly is very good at this, way above Mangala's level.

Luiz?

We don’t lose that many goals to long shots, but we are very tentative around the box because of the brilliant free kicks that happen routinely these days!
I hope so.

We are vulnerable in that area. Liverpool, Wolves, Newcastle, sure there’s more. This video touches on it. Looking back, quite a good analysis of how the game might go.

I'll admit that's good but playing out the back under zero pressure doesn't put him anywhere near the level of Koulibaly.

It's not even that Mangala is bad per se, because he's not. It's just Koulibaly is very good at this, way above Mangala's level.

Didn’t say it did. Just think Mangala is often wrongly disparaged on here.;-)

Koulibaly is a more complete player, as we know, and as your video demonstrates.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.