Kalidou Koulibaly

Unless Stones comes back as a worldy, will be very frustrating watching us repeat last year's errors defensively. Think this year's title race will be tighter given e.g. Arse and Chelski strengthening so frustrating if we can't exploit that.

Second best defensive record in the league last year. What we couldn’t do is break down the teams that park the bus & then hit us on the break when the whole team is trying to get that goal!!

Those stats say absolutely nothing. We lost NINE league games and we need a much better defence for that not to happen again.
And remember how good Liverpool has been in defence. In 18/19, they conceded 22(!!) goals, and lost one game, and they still got it if they find their form. We had a fantastic run-in with Laporte and Kompany at the time, but he’s gone now and we need proper centrebacks that can make a big difference.

No Koulibaly or other world class CB joining Laporte, and we will struggle this season. No flapping, just facts.

Those stats say absolutely nothing. We lost NINE league games and we need a much better defence for that not to happen again.
And remember how good Liverpool has been in defence. In 18/19, they conceded 22(!!) goals, and lost one game, and they still got it if they find their form. We had a fantastic run-in with Laporte and Kompany at the time, but he’s gone now and we need proper centrebacks that can make a big difference.

No Koulibaly or other world class CB joining Laporte, and we will struggle this season. No flapping, just facts.

As you say - it’s how you choose to interpret stats. For me, we lost creativity in midfield with Bernardo being off form & Sane out all season. Stats also point to the number of chances created & missed as well as the amount of possession we had in the games we lost

Wow I didn't think you'd be taken in by the narrative of the media that City can't defend.

The dippers had a GA of 35
City had a GA of 38
And this was only last season.

Some on here have very short memories.

Pretty sure our goals against per minute in all comps is better than liverpools and has been for the last 3 years

If anything is happening around Koulibaly, it should be moving within days. Napoli still have several transfer targets and they play their first game on Sunday.

For our part, I don’t think we care if this goes down to the last week since Koulibaly is probably our last transfer of the window, but the same cannot be said about Napoli. If we have no movement by Saturday, I’m certain this deal is off.
72_hours, then.

A number of the goals we let in last season were down to individual errors caused by loss of concentration following breakdowns in possession. Previously that was a large part of Fern's job as defensive midfielder. He covered for others brilliantly, read the game really well and, as some might say, was a master of the technical foul. Rodri and Gundo are good players but in that position neither is as good as Fern was in previous seasons. Stones.Walker, Ota and Mendy all had lapses in concentration that led to goals last season and Garcia and even Laporte had moments too. So for me, any new defensive additions must have that single minded level of concentration that only the best have. However, we would all praise VK as our best defender in recent years and he too was prone occasionally. Its a conundrum really. Maybe if we had bought Kante a few years ago we wouldn't be talking about it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.