Kalidou Koulibaly

We need extra scouting/opinions because we were really interested at one point on Maguire and if United does not go for that 80m bid we migh thave bought him for 50-60m an he is a mediocre defender and also extremely slow who would struggle a lot in our way of playing.

We dodged a huge bullet there no idea what made our transfer/scouting department think at one point he is good for City.
People don't care about long term success on here, it's all here and now. There's no consideration of young players, no one is ever ready, we can't afford to give anyone a chance because it's too risky and we might get relegated if we do. Now you've got people trying to justify a fee of £60-90m for a 29 year old, despite us having Garcia, Harwood-Bellis and Tosin all more than capable of become a first team regular, all while we have Fernandinho to provide emergency cover if all three fail. It's the same people saying Foden wasn't ready before, when it's been abundantly clear he has been ready for quite a while.

This is a disingenuous comparison. Van Dyke was rated #1 Defender on Whoscored and the #3 defender on Sqwaka at the end of the 2016-2017 season.

He then put in a transfer request in August of 17. A request Southampton balked at. Making the first half of the 2017-18 season saga between club and player. He ended up playing just 11 games. Still averaged a 7.10 on Whoscored for those games. Sure it was a drop from his 7.35 of the 16-17 full season.

Even if you considered those 11 games his 'last season' in Southhampton, 'Mediocre' is a stretch as a descriptor. That 7,10 rating would be good enough for #7 defender this year. Granted, this is a down year for defenders. But mediocre does not describe any season Van Dyke had.

Other than that, everything else you said was okay :)
Actually according to whoscored Otamendi was the no 1 rated defender above Van Dijk. Mustafi had the same score as Van Dijk too. Would any team drop £75M on Mustafi or Otamendi maybe? Truth is everybody thought it was crazy money buying Van Dijk for £75M. Not the least his performance that season.

Hope this helps.

People don't care about long term success on here, it's all here and now. There's no consideration of young players, no one is ever ready, we can't afford to give anyone a chance because it's too risky and we might get relegated if we do. Now you've got people trying to justify a fee of £60-90m for a 29 year old, despite us having Garcia, Harwood-Bellis and Tosin all more than capable of become a first team regular, all while we have Fernandinho to provide emergency cover if all three fail. It's the same people saying Foden wasn't ready before, when it's been abundantly clear he has been ready for quite a while.
It’s not that people are not looking towards the future, but you have to realize that we have a finite window of opportunity with Pep and that window is closing soon. We have to maximize our chances while we’re with him.

It’s not that people are not looking towards the future, but you have to realize that we have a finite window of opportunity with Pep and that window is closing soon. We have to maximize our chances while we’re with him.
Can you not understand how crazy you sound? We'll be here long after Pep, as much as we absolutely love him and what he's done, it shouldn't change the reason why we sign players.

You know as well as I do, the same people were the ones saying we had to buy Alexis Sanchez because he would guarantee us the league and we were stupid not to spend the money, especially when he then went to United. It's fucking mental.

The posters on here bigging up Van dyke, do you all know he always has 2 maybe 3 DMs in front of him most games, where as Pep sets us up with one.

People don't care about long term success on here, it's all here and now. There's no consideration of young players, no one is ever ready

Is this serious? Literally the only real criticism of Koulibaly I'm seeing in here is that he's 29 and we won't get a decade out of him.

I'm one of those who had been pushing for Foden to start for as long as I can remember and have complained about our shite youth integration for years. But there's a place for that and there's a place for experience. We've lost our captain and we're (I hope to fucking god) losing Otamendi so I don't see the issue with bringing in a genuine quality player in the latter half of his career.

As much as I'd love to have Garcia and Harwood-Bellis in the starting lineup, it's just not feasible. I don't care what anyone says, Garcia, as much as I rate him, isn't ready to be the first choice. He's got at least one big mistake in him per game. Taylor is further behind. Tosin I'd love to come back but it doesn't seem particularly likely.

On the flip side, when it comes to buying young players, I see far too much focus on how we can get a ten year player simply because they're young. Most of our players in their early 20s now won't be here when they reach 30, that's just how football works. Sane's an example of that and there will be more to follow.

Centre back is the one area of the pitch where we are desperately lacking reliability, experience and physical presence. Personally I think he's exactly the type of player we need for now and one to help the kids develop their game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.