Kalvin Phillips - Amazon Prime

I can't understand why someone thought a documentary about a decent-not-great player, relatively unknown by the general public, going to be a backup at City in a pretty low key transfer would be essential viewing.

I suppose it's lucky for the filmmakers that the injuries, surgery, struggles and being on the fringe of a treble winning side should make it a lot more interesting - as long as Phillips and City allowed them to show the really ugly side of things.

Phillips spoke openly about growing up in Leeds without a father figure, how his father Mark is in prison, and why he wanted to do the documentary to act as an example to other children in his situation.

He said: "If anybody feels they are in the same boots as me, then hopefully they will see that if you work hard and keep believing in yourself then you will be able to make your dreams come true."

Phillips added: "I went to see my dad a couple of months ago. I said to him 'I want to help you when you get out, I want to try to help you settle down and make sure you don't go straight back into prison', like he always used to do.

"He said 'honestly Kalvin, all I want to do now is to watch you play football'.

"He said he would be happy with that for the rest of his life because he has missed so many things since he has been in prison. I said that's all right by me."

He sounds infinitely more relatable than the usual vapid wankers they use as the focal point of these footballer documentaries.

I'm interested and I doubt I'm the only one.

Phillips spoke openly about growing up in Leeds without a father figure, how his father Mark is in prison, and why he wanted to do the documentary to act as an example to other children in his situation.

He said: "If anybody feels they are in the same boots as me, then hopefully they will see that if you work hard and keep believing in yourself then you will be able to make your dreams come true."

Phillips added: "I went to see my dad a couple of months ago. I said to him 'I want to help you when you get out, I want to try to help you settle down and make sure you don't go straight back into prison', like he always used to do.

"He said 'honestly Kalvin, all I want to do now is to watch you play football'.

"He said he would be happy with that for the rest of his life because he has missed so many things since he has been in prison. I said that's all right by me."

He sounds infinitely more relatable than the usual vapid wankers they use as the focal point of these footballer documentaries.

I'm interested and I doubt I'm the only one.
What’s his Dad in for?

What’s his Dad in for?

I'm not sure but he's been in and out of prison for Kalvin's entire life. Just one of those guys.

I hope he gets what he wants and finally gets his dad back.

Edit: I'm sure more info will be in the documentary but there's an interview with him mentioning how his dad has been done for all sorts. Even had a kid at 13.

I can't understand why someone thought a documentary about a decent-not-great player, relatively unknown by the general public, going to be a backup at City in a pretty low key transfer would be essential viewing.

I suppose it's lucky for the filmmakers that the injuries, surgery, struggles and being on the fringe of a treble winning side should make it a lot more interesting - as long as Phillips and City allowed them to show the really ugly side of things.
I am sure it will be interesting to watch like most car-crash TV is but I can't help feeling Kalvin should have waited until he had achieved something more significant with his football career. No wonder Pep was pissed off about his lack of focus if he was tied up with this. The Amazon documentary which concentrated on the entire team was more valid because it promoted the club. This one might damage the club.

I am sure it will be interesting to watch like most car-crash TV is but I can't help feeling Kalvin should have waited until he had achieved something more significant with his football career. No wonder Pep was pissed off about his lack of focus if he was tied up with this. The Amazon documentary which concentrated on the entire team was more valid because it promoted the club. This one might damage the club.

The awards of the worst post of the year goes to.....

I'm not sure but he's been in and out of prison for Kalvin's entire life. Just one of those guys.

I hope he gets what he wants and finally gets his dad back.

Edit: I'm sure more info will be in the documentary but there's an interview with him mentioning how his dad has been done for all sorts. Even had a kid at 13.

Count me in as well Tugay!
From what i have heard, its about his growing up in Leeds, without his father, who spend most of his life locked up it seems.
If its a honest and open documentary then he has my sympathies as that's tough (from personal experience - but without the prison part, just an absent father!) and I will hopefully enjoy it.
I'm so looking forward to him having a breakout season this coming seaso,n as he seems like a decent enough guy and he is talented without a doubt.
He wouldn't be the first to take his time to settle into the "City/Pep way"..
I truly hope he proves the people, who have already written him off, totally wrong about him :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.