Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
again the reason you should care about the price being £65m is that our budget isn't endless and it very directly means we will have less money for our next target and might miss out on one. 5m ov1erpay here, 5m overpay there, they add up.

it's got nothing to do with it being "your" money or how much twats online will tell you you overpaid and call you oil club etc etc. these are relevant. the budget is relevant.
I see things rather differently. Pep and Txiki seem to care enough about price and don't make many mistakes. When you talk about "5m ov1erpay here, 5m overpay there," are you thinking about "mistakes" you think the club has made or talking in general terms with no relevance to City? If you believe that " for 5 years we haven't gotten a replacement leftback because there was never enough leftover in the budget for it" I have to say that in the summer window of 2017 City signed Mendy on a 5 year contract. It is ridiculous to say that the club should have replaced him as soon as he limped off against Crystal Palace. And I think it fair to ask who would have been better than Zinchenko - who, by the way, did nothing to use up leftover budget. But a better example of the wisdom of our approach is the search for a replacement for Sergio. Last summer we found Harry Kane and Erling Haaland were not available at any price, but they did not overspend anywhere despite suggestions that we should buy Ings or an Italian or anybody in fact. Had we done so the money for Erling, even at a bargain basement £51m, may well not have been there - but we hadn't done it. City will only spend money on a player if they are convinced he's worth it. Pep and Txiki are faithful to the club ethos - they are investors not gamblers.

again the reason you should care about the price being £65m is that our budget isn't endless and it very directly means we will have less money for our next target and might miss out on one. 15m overpay here, 5m overpay there, they add up. for 5 years we haven't gotten a replacement leftback because there was never enough leftover in the budget for it.

it's got nothing to do with it being "your" money or how much twats online will tell us we've overpaid and call us oil club etc etc. these are relevant. the budget is relevant.
You just bought Haaland for £51m you’ll find a way

again the reason you should care about the price being £65m is that our budget isn't endless and it very directly means we will have less money for our next target and might miss out on one. 15m overpay here, 5m overpay there, they add up. for 5 years we haven't gotten a replacement leftback because there was never enough leftover in the budget for it.

it's got nothing to do with it being "your" money or how much twats online will tell us we've overpaid and call us oil club etc etc. these are relevant. the budget is relevant.
The main problem with that is that the club isn't run by magpies just chasing the next shiny object for the sake of it.

The club will only ever spend what we can afford, what we're comfortable with.

We haven't gotten a left back because the club hasn't chased one.

The budget is relevant as you say so if the club accept what they're paying for who they're buying then surely they're happy with the budget

The main problem with that is that the club isn't run by magpies just chasing the next shiny object for the sake of it.

The club will only ever spend what we can afford, what we're comfortable with.

We haven't gotten a left back because the club hasn't chased one.

The budget is relevant as you say so if the club accept what they're paying for who they're buying then surely they're happy with the budget
People also forget (or in some cases don`t want to remember as it doesn`t fit in with their argument) that we have on more than one occasion walked away from deals where they believed we were being screwed either by that Club, an Agent or an over zealous Player who thought we should be paying more for his services.
We aint a charity and will only conduct ourselves in a fee and wages that the Club feel happy with.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to make a case for why the club is in the wrong to spend whatever amount of money it thinks is correct to strengthen the team - that is something I fully agree with - I was trying to make the case for why us as fans should care about budget and transfer fees, not to defend against gotchas, but because it has implications for next transfers.

and we absolutely did chase left backs the past 3 years, that's nonsense.

It's good to walk away from transfers if they don't make financial sense. I think this one doesn't. simple as

You just bought Haaland for £51m you’ll find a way

Trust me mate, you might report it one way but these days we report it the real way! Haaland was meant to be £64m according to everyone and low and behold that was all bollocks and it was £51.1m!

Tixiki & the club will have a ceiling of what a play is worth, look at Mahrez, Leicester wanted £90m & hel their nerve & got him for £60m similar with Maguire, We wanted him for £50m but Leicester wanted £85m & utd paid that. Even baulked at paying Messi wages because it was seen as no longer being economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.