Kalvin Phillips

I think we are stuck with him.
There’s no way he can be made to go on loan.
The only way to persuade him to do so would have been to sign another midfielder and leave Kalvin out of the match day squad all together for the first few games of the season but we’ve missed that boat.
It would be harsh but I think he would definitely get the message.
I do however seem to recall a Dutch central defender refusing to leave Chelsea and happy to rot in the reserves for 2-3 years about 10 yrs ago on big money…can’t remember his name. And of course there was that **** Danny Mills..I think Kalvin would value his international career a bit more than that.
Can't 'loan deals' still be done after the transfer window closes?

Yes he is backing himself and he won't be taking a pay cut if he moves on. Money is definitely not the motivation. Personally don't see him making it at City but hope I'm wrong and I applaud him for trying.
Is it that, or is it that he’s at a top team, hoovering up medals, whilst being close to his family, which seems to be more important to him than playing every week?

rotation/injuries mean no-one has to leave though
As if you never heard Pep say he prefers a small squad. You should listen to him more.

Just a reminder, City played the 2nd part of last season with 21 players (plus Carson, Bobb and Charles filling the bench) and won a Treble,
and the season before it was 19 (plus a few kids playing few minutes), won the PL too after a shitload of injuries.

rotation/injuries mean no-one has to leave though
We very rarely rotate to the extent that someone is excused a League game, and professionals at the first-team level should not be planning their careers on the basis of others’ injuries, especially when the medical team and facilities are so good. I agree, though, that they don’t have to move.

Can't 'loan deals' still be done after the transfer window closes?
I think it can only happen in exceptional circumstances ie if all your keepers are out with injury the PL will allow you to have another keeper on loan.
Can’t see how it would apply to midfielders…

I hope things change for him this season. So far, however, this transfer is up there with the likes of Rodwell and Sinclair for bad buys.

I hope things change for him this season. So far, however, this transfer is up there with the likes of Rodwell and Sinclair for bad buys.

How can winning the treble as a squad player be worse than Rodwell and Sinclair signings
Phillips got a bad injury, Well in fact we signed him having trouble with the shoulder and he popped it again, So we had to have it pinned and worked and got back into the World Cup squad and back up for Rodri and Gundogan

I can't figure this one out at all. He's clearly not a bad player, he's shown enough at Leeds and for England to suggest he can play quite a bit. I just think that if you can't get a game at Sheff United away then when will he? I'm not saying Rodri needs a rest, but he can't be expected to play every single game.

I hope Phillips steps up, but in all honesty I can't see him playing for City. There's more to it than meets the eye and it's more than just football. If he's not playing regularly by Christmas then he needs to go in January, full stop.
If there is 'more to it', surely news would have already emerged in the form of rumours regarding attitude problems, dressing room unrest, indiscipline etc. Aside from the one issue concerning his fitness following the world cup, all we know is that he's fully committed to the club. Regardless, Pep doesn't appear to trust him. Perhaps it's attributable to nothing other than a consistent failure to impress in training in which case City need to accept we signed a dud and move the lad on for his sake and ours. Either way, it's baffling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.