Kalvin Phillips

I think this is kind of my point, he should be capable of holding himself against Sheff United. It's not like Rodri is KdB, he just plays it simple most of the time and Phillips should be able to do that.

If we can't trust him v Sheff United, and he will never be ahead of Rodri in the big games then other than in Cup games he just won't play. Are we best of selling him now? I can't think of any scenario where he's going to play really

I think you are underselling Rodri big time… his reading of the game and his ability to set the pace is truly exceptional.

Just needs the League Cup to complete the set, which ironically is the competition he’s most likely to play in this season should he stay.

Stones was a regular starter before he had his dodgy period where he had a torrid time with injuries and issues in his personal life.

It looked like he had one foot out the door, but that's not because he wasn't good enough - he had shown a world class level already and won multiple titles with Pep at that point.

There isn't a comparison in this squad to the situation that Phillips has found himself in - Rodri, Grealish, Stones, Ake etc all had difficult bedding in periods, but they all still got their chances and when they had shaky performances, Pep persisted with them.

Phillips has just been in the abyss from the outset. His case isn't like any before him. I think the fundamental problem is that Pep simply doesn't rate him, but Phillips simply is happy sitting tight as you say.

Completely detriment to his career at this stage in my opinion and if he does stay beyond this window, will be gone on loan in January after his situation won't have changed (bar a truly terrible injury crisis) and his place in the England squad is under threat (I think it probably already is).

Unfortunately the pressure is going to continue to build for him with each game he doesn't get a look in - this isn't a situation where he doesn't play and fans forget about him. We're seeing Rodri being run into the ground and our £45m back up sit on the bench smiling week after week despite not getting a minute of football. His omission is going to be a major talking point every game and if he does get an opportunity and doesn't peform, the reaction will be tribal.
Good post,correct

Is it that baffling ? Would agree with you Pep has decided he is not able to do what we need him to and would gladly get rid but Phillips has a contract worth c£40m for his remaining 5 years and is happy to see it out as no other club would give him anywhere near that. Don't think the message could be any clearer from the management team he ain't getting picked ahead of Rodri and is too limited to sit alongside him. Think we would have to pay him a sizable sum to offload him so not gonna happen, he will sit on the bench and make occasional appearances and perhaps go on loan until we are happy to take the hit in our books.
I wouldn't disagree with much of your reply. I was using the term 'baffled' to describe my feelings about a player who doesn't appear to fully acknowledge the extent of his shortcomings or accept, at the very least, that he isn't part of the management team's plans in the foreseeable future. Ordinarily, in such circumstances, the player in question would agitate for a move. I can only think that he's either deluded about his future prospects at City or he genuinely believes he has the ability and mental strength to play his way into contention. I'd like the believe it's the latter though we're yet to see any tangible evidence.

I think you are underselling Rodri big time… his reading of the game and his ability to set the pace is truly exceptional.
Don't get me wrong, I think Rodri is the most important player we have! I'm just thinking in terms of passing, can't Phillips do that?!?

Basically I can't see how he plays for us again...

Yes of course you’re right in that Rodri is a magnificent player. But the previous point stands that if Phillips can play for England at the highest level, he can surely do well enough against a Sheffield Utd team who thinks attack is something you use to nail a carpet down

Don't get me wrong, I think Rodri is the most important player we have! I'm just thinking in terms of passing, can't Phillips do that?!?

Basically I can't see how he plays for us again...
Ya it was in hindsight a weird signing. I'm more hopeful than anything but to be fair it's a blind hope (as there's precious little evidence ....but you never know).

Yes of course you’re right in that Rodri is a magnificent player. But the previous point stands that if Phillips can play for England at the highest level, he can surely do well enough against a Sheffield Utd team who thinks attack is something you use to nail a carpet down
That’s only true if we are willing to play like England.

We were just minutes from coming away with a draw against Sheffield United.

Pep only brought Philips on, in the PL, last season late on, when we were several goals ahead. In several of those games the opposition scored when he was on.
Apart from the dead rubber end of season PL games. He started one FA cup game to Bristol City! and the EFL game we lost to Southampton. I can imagine similar game time this season. Pep doesn't seem to trust him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.