Kalvin Phillips

The sooner he goes the better. Again tonight he didn't seem to have the desire to work hard enough imo. If he believed in himself it might help but whatever the reason he is lazy in terms of positioning, reactions, focus, etc.

As a comparison, Gomes and Lewis are way better players who will also put in a shift . Either would have have given as good or more imo in CM when we were stuck.

I like the lad but I'd wish him well providing that it's not at a rival he ends up. But please Gof that's our last time seeing him playing for us.

Glad he got a goal and a great pen it was, sadly he’s simply not good enough to wear the City shirt, I don’t understand it personally but he’s somehow to weak in possession and easily pushed off the ball which I thought was one of his strengths at Leeds.

So happy for him tonight. Not worked out for him here but good luck wherever he leaves for, unless it’s red shite.
Things tend to not work out if you're not played and given the chance.
Pep's one strange treatment of a player.
No doubt some bright spark will point out "but Pep sees him in training".

Solid performance IMO. Took the penalty well, which eventually proved to be the winner. Some of his long passes towards the flanks were actually pretty superb. Certainly should've tracked better for their first goal.

Unsure whether he'd still here post-January though.

Glad he got a goal and a great pen it was, sadly he’s simply not good enough to wear the City shirt, I don’t understand it personally but he’s somehow to weak in possession and easily pushed off the ball which I thought was one of his strengths at Leeds.
When he has not got the ball is the main issue for me, he looks so slow and his lack of awareness is shocking.

He does look slight in stature and gets bullied in possession so with all the talk about his weight perhaps his next manager let him put a bit of meat on.
Being a boxing fan myself you can just see what they mean about fighting at your natural weight and too light is a dangerous place and many a boxer has taken a beating when struggling to make the weight.
I know it's a strange take on him but many players have thrived being their natural weight even if we do call them fat bastards.
He may just not be elite standard but time will tell.

It's clear as day that he's going in January

The players have made a huge effort to show him some appreciation on social media today, and it feels like a send off in letting him take that penalty in a fairly meaningless game

Seems a nice lad, but as others have said it's hard to work out what he excels at, certainly a squad like ours

If he does go, it would be nice to see someone come in during January

Solid performance IMO. Took the penalty well, which eventually proved to be the winner. Some of his long passes towards the flanks were actually pretty superb. Certainly should've tracked better for their first goal.

Unsure whether he'd still here post-January though.
Poor pass from Ortega, Nunes then lost it too easily, new lad then ball watched yet Phillips gets blame as player runs in behind him.

Glad he got a goal tonight. Been through a lot and sadly just isn't the right player for us. He isn't a natural fit and never was. And his confidence is blown. I watched him closely and he just didn't want to find space to be the out ball. He was just stood still a lot of the time not particularly interested in taking the ball.

Wish him all the best though. A decent guy and a Treble winner. It's not been too bad for him!

As you say the lack of confidence in making himself available was palpable. I thought as the game wore on that it actually got better and he did move into space a bit more. It made me wonder for a brief moment if it could have been different had he had some sort of run in the team to get his confidence levels up. But the brutal reality is if Pep thought he had what it takes he would probably have been afforded that opportunity and he hasn't been.

I don't doubt there's a decent enough footballer in there but what City under Pep demand technically, physically and psychologically is at another level and sadly he's not been able to bridge that gap. Hopefully he'll get his career back on track as he does seem a good guy.

As you say the lack of confidence in making himself available was palpable. I thought as the game wore on that it actually got better and he did move into space a bit more. It made me wonder for a brief moment if it could have been different had he had some sort of run in the team to get his confidence levels up. But the brutal reality is if Pep thought he had what it takes he would probably have been afforded that opportunity and he hasn't been.

I don't doubt there's a decent enough footballer in there but what City under Pep demand technically, physically and psychologically is at another level and sadly he's not been able to bridge that gap. Hopefully he'll get his career back on track as he does seem a good guy.

Pep has seen enough in training to know it isn't going to work. He never suited us and clearly doesn't have the ability to adapt to our style of play. He's suited to a team that presses and wins the ball on the front foot and where, in possession it's a get it forward quick or a simple pass backwards/sideways. We need someone to dictate play and offer the guile from that position. His performance at Southampton in the league cup last season was probably the defining moment that ended any faith Pep may have had in him.

But it's the hardest role in the team and probably most critical based on our results without Rodri. We won last night without him, so that's something. He'll get us most of his fee back and have a good career somewhere else.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.