Kalvin Phillips

A timely good game when I’m sure some clubs will have been watching. Being better at CB just shows he’s either short on confidence, slowed down or just doesn’t have the awareness to play defensive midfield anymore.

Hopefully there was a scout somewhere impressed by the performance!

I only saw the highlights but I still recognised a look of attention deficit in his face at times. Anyway .....I'd love the boy to find a position that suits and, more importantly, a club that suits soon.

Having the entire game in front of him could be what he needs: he simply does not have the 360 degree awareness that is needed in the DM position playing the way we do.

I said the same on the post match thread.

He isn't good enough receiving the ball in the DM position with his back to play. Not good enough technically and he also doesn't scan enough, so is never sure if how much time he has (or hasn't).

It's amazing he got to the level he did with those issues in his game.

Playing at the back and being able to see everything in front of him gets rid of some of those issues. It does bring other possible issues around size, speed and defensive ability, but some games you can get away with it for us, because of our possession play.

He'd still be about 6th or 7th choice CB for us though, but it's nice that he's had a decent game for a change.

He isn't good enough receiving the ball in the DM position with his back to play. Not good enough technically and he also doesn't scan enough, so is never sure if how much time he has (or hasn't).

It's amazing he got to the level he did with those issues in his game.

Playing at the back and being able to see everything in front of him gets rid of some of those issues. It does bring other possible issues around size, speed and defensive ability, but some games you can get away with it for us, because of our possession play.

He'd still be about 6th or 7th choice CB for us though, but it's nice that he's had a decent game for a change.

It does make you wonder how he managed in that Bielsa side who play riskily through the 6 all the time?! (Not sarcasm, genuine bewilderment)

I just wonder if he’s slowed down due to injuries and they’ve taken a toll on his ability to move the ball quicker. That or lack of confidence. Or both.

It does make you wonder how he managed in that Bielsa side who play riskily through the 6 all the time?! (Not sarcasm, genuine bewilderment)

I just wonder if he’s slowed down due to injuries and they’ve taken a toll on his ability to move the ball quicker. That or lack of confidence. Or both.
Expectations and confidence, I suspect.

Yeah I've thought about that too. Not got an exact answer and this is more of a hunch, but I feel like for England he had to cover a small space and do the basics (also while Pickford probably launched it over his head) so managed.

For Leeds, they were the opposite and played so wide and open, that he'd usually have a bit of space when receiving the ball.

For us, it's neither of those. We value possession and keeping the ball, but players need to be able to do it in small spaces. He just can't.

When he received the ball he could just pop it out to the channels without looking as he new a winger would make a run - exactly what I used to do in the 6 position as a youth haha

That's why it shows how clueless Southgate was, he was pining for Phillips and thinking he was the answer to do this kind if job when he isn't good enough to take the ball in that situation, just like Rice isn't.

Phillips has a nice range of passing when he's got the game in front of him and can see a full picture. He really would be better used receiving the ball in the oppents half and trying to make things happen with passing, but we have much better players who can take the ball in the opponents half.

Expecting him to be any sort of cover for Rodri and doing that job on the pitch is a lost cause.

I think people blamed Bielsa's tactics for Leeds shortfalls when it could have been just as likely that he didn't have the players required.

Chicken egg situation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.