Kalvin Phillips

His excuse/reason for being overweight is pretty poor as well.

"‘I’d gone to New York for three or four days after Qatar. I’d flown all day. I’d had breakfast, lunch, dinner and landed. Slept during the flight as well. And straight into football. I’d had a full day of eating. There is water retention and stuff on a flight. It was a misunderstanding really.’"

England were knocked out on the 10th December and the English players returned on 21st December. So he went away for 3/4 days to New York but chose to do it in the last 3/4 days and go straight to training from the airport? 3KG is more than water retention and a full day of eating, it's a piss poor excuse and an excuse that was given to Pep which understandably he was fuming about it.

After playing only 54 minutes up until the World Cup and only 40 minutes at the World Cup you'd think he would use the 11 days he had "off" to get himself fit and right for the restart of the season but instead he chose a jolly up in New York and lost the managers trust in the process and killing his City career.
First time I heard that and it would suggest a lack of professionalism but also as others suggest a lack of the kind of appetite required at City.

If he stays ill be rooting for him as most of us will be.

I think his role is to close out games that are already won. I don't think we'll ever see him in a game that we are not already winning by at least 2 goals.

And when he plays I think it'll be besides midfield terriers (like Bernardo or Kovacic or Lewis) and/or strongmen (like Stones, Gvardiol or Ake). And this could make it seem tgat he is unnecessary but you never know.

IMO if he just upped his tempo he'd be a different player. I think (but how could I know) that he is afraid to make a missed pass because he knows that he isn't as accurate at passing as others in the squad but imo he should forget about that and just become a whirlwind. Let the odd pass go astray but be in on top of people immediately. Give away free kicks in not too dangerous places. Pick up yellow cards like crazy. Be a fucking McTominay and be proud of it.

Anyway I hope the lad makes Pep happy by the end of the season.....if he stays.

His excuse/reason for being overweight is pretty poor as well.

"‘I’d gone to New York for three or four days after Qatar. I’d flown all day. I’d had breakfast, lunch, dinner and landed. Slept during the flight as well. And straight into football. I’d had a full day of eating. There is water retention and stuff on a flight. It was a misunderstanding really.’"

England were knocked out on the 10th December and the English players returned on 21st December. So he went away for 3/4 days to New York but chose to do it in the last 3/4 days and go straight to training from the airport? 3KG is more than water retention and a full day of eating, it's a piss poor excuse and an excuse that was given to Pep which understandably he was fuming about it.

After playing only 54 minutes up until the World Cup and only 40 minutes at the World Cup you'd think he would use the 11 days he had "off" to get himself fit and right for the restart of the season but instead he chose a jolly up in New York and lost the managers trust in the process and killing his City career.
Oh come on, he's obviously big boned....

It really is ridiculous to hear of a professional footballer blaming water retention for being overweight in the middle of the season, a season when he should have been breaking his neck to establish himself at City and make up for the time lost to injury. The fact that it’s only a 7 hour flight from New York just highlights the weakness of the excuse and the only person he’s kidding is himself.

I’ve argued in here previously that the winter break and the warm weather training at the WC provided him with a unique opportunity to regain his fitness without missing any games for his club. He should have been back at the club a few days after the WC finished, and yet he chose to go on a jolly instead, coming back in worse shape than he left. I still find that incongruous and for me he appears to like the idea of being a City player more than he does the level of work and application required to make it at the club.

Hopefully we can move him on before the end of the window.
100% This ^

This guy needs to have the season of his life because Rodri cannot play every game and Phillips needs to kick on . I’d play him tonight tbh

Someone needs to slap him on the face when he comes on the pitch or give him the smelling salts they used to give the wrestlers when they were on the floor during Grandstand (younger forum members will have no idea what I am on about). This will improve his performance by 5% I am sure of it.

Someone needs to slap him on the face when he comes on the pitch or give him the smelling salts they used to give the wrestlers when they were on the floor during Grandstand (younger forum members will have no idea what I am on about). This will improve his performance by 5% I am sure of it.
Adrian Street, Bobby Barnes, Mick McManus, Kendo Nagasaki, Jackie Pallo all like this post

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.