Kalvin Phillips

There’s fit and there’s match fit. He’s an England international who has hardly played
Hendo and Maguire are England players so that a ridiculous argument, we are many, many levels above the England national team.

Maybe you should ask Pep why he does not trust him, Kovacic has done more in a handful of games that Phillips has done in a year.

Phillips is a talent, you don't play in the PL and get signed by us if your not, but he seems to have less than an ideal mentality, after missing the first part of last season with injury, would you not come back and bust a gut to play in our side, on the pitch I watched a player going through the motions and in my opinion a player who himself was overwhelmed by what he witnessed from our players.

Not an elite mentality is my guess and that's not something that can be taught.

Last edited:
Pep publicly calling him ''overweight' should tell you a lot.

I'm sure we would all like to see him turn it around, but it's hard to ignore the current reality.

His excuse/reason for being overweight is pretty poor as well.

"‘I’d gone to New York for three or four days after Qatar. I’d flown all day. I’d had breakfast, lunch, dinner and landed. Slept during the flight as well. And straight into football. I’d had a full day of eating. There is water retention and stuff on a flight. It was a misunderstanding really.’"

England were knocked out on the 10th December and the English players returned on 21st December. So he went away for 3/4 days to New York but chose to do it in the last 3/4 days and go straight to training from the airport? 3KG is more than water retention and a full day of eating, it's a piss poor excuse and an excuse that was given to Pep which understandably he was fuming about it.

After playing only 54 minutes up until the World Cup and only 40 minutes at the World Cup you'd think he would use the 11 days he had "off" to get himself fit and right for the restart of the season but instead he chose a jolly up in New York and lost the managers trust in the process and killing his City career.

That independent Amazon film of him and the only reason Philip came back from holiday early to plug I bet pep wasn't happy with!

His excuse/reason for being overweight is pretty poor as well.

"‘I’d gone to New York for three or four days after Qatar. I’d flown all day. I’d had breakfast, lunch, dinner and landed. Slept during the flight as well. And straight into football. I’d had a full day of eating. There is water retention and stuff on a flight. It was a misunderstanding really.’"

England were knocked out on the 10th December and the English players returned on 21st December. So he went away for 3/4 days to New York but chose to do it in the last 3/4 days and go straight to training from the airport? 3KG is more than water retention and a full day of eating, it's a piss poor excuse and an excuse that was given to Pep which understandably he was fuming about it.

After playing only 54 minutes up until the World Cup and only 40 minutes at the World Cup you'd think he would use the 11 days he had "off" to get himself fit and right for the restart of the season but instead he chose a jolly up in New York and lost the managers trust in the process and killing his City career.
It really is ridiculous to hear of a professional footballer blaming water retention for being overweight in the middle of the season, a season when he should have been breaking his neck to establish himself at City and make up for the time lost to injury. The fact that it’s only a 7 hour flight from New York just highlights the weakness of the excuse and the only person he’s kidding is himself.

I’ve argued in here previously that the winter break and the warm weather training at the WC provided him with a unique opportunity to regain his fitness without missing any games for his club. He should have been back at the club a few days after the WC finished, and yet he chose to go on a jolly instead, coming back in worse shape than he left. I still find that incongruous and for me he appears to like the idea of being a City player more than he does the level of work and application required to make it at the club.

Hopefully we can move him on before the end of the window.

It really is ridiculous to hear of a professional footballer blaming water retention for being overweight in the middle of the season, a season when he should have been breaking his neck to establish himself at City and make up for the time lost to injury. The fact that it’s only a 7 hour flight from New York just highlights the weakness of the excuse and the only person he’s kidding is himself.

I’ve argued in here previously that the winter break and the warm weather training at the WC provided him with a unique opportunity to regain his fitness without missing any games for his club. He should have been back at the club a few days after the WC finished, and yet he chose to go on a jolly instead, coming back in worse shape than he left. I still find that incongruous and for me he appears to like the idea of being a City player more than he does the level of work and application required to make it at the club.

Hopefully we can move him on before the end of the window.
Yes, it's a pathetic excuse. What was he doing going straight from New York into training? Might it not have been better to have a bit of time at home before resuming training? It just displays a total lack of professionalism, and that's taking his account at face value.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.