Kalvin Phillips

They don't have much of a choice, they gave him a 5/6 year contract.

I suppose they could sink to the level of some other clubs and put out a load of negative press stories, banish him the u21s and try to bully him into leaving, but I think that reflects really poorly on the clubs that do it.
I think we could have facilitated an amicable departure this summer, even if it meant having to subsidise his wages at a new club. Keeping him with virtually no intention of playing him seems pointless.

I think we could have facilitated an amicable departure this summer, even if it meant having to subsidise his wages at a new club. Keeping him with virtually no intention of playing him seems pointless.

I think his primary concern is being close enough to Leeds to see his mum. Pep mentioned family reasons (having a child) as why he stayed after the game.

Reckon Everton or Burnley are the only realistic options in January because he can stay in the same house.

I think the point is he didn’t want to go though. The club were open to getting rid it seems by peps comments regarding game time the other day

Yeah, it'll be pretty damning for him if he doesn't start either of the PL games that Rodri is suspended for, but it seems a distinct possibility.

Wednesday was his chance IMO and, while not absolutely woeful, he didn't do himself any favours in terms of 'control' that Pep would want from a 6. As soon as Newcastle came out the blocks flying in the second half, Rodri would've calmed everybody down and got us playing back to usual because that's his job in that role. Phillips didn't do it and teams will prey on that.

He'd be great in a double-pivot 6 (excuse the jargon) IMO but on his own? Nada.

If he doesn't start tomorrow then it's the final nail in his Pep coffin I reckon and could be a signal from Pep for him to actually look elsewhere in January. As we tried in Summer.

He is a better player than he is showing. But this might simply be a level too high for him.

For those who believe there is a pile on ( and there probably is), none of that changes some factual realities.

For me it's not how he was on the ball that disappointed me, I already accept he isn't as technical as some of our other players, it's what he does off it. He is clearly scared and avoids getting the ball as best he can.

That simply cannot stand. :( I'm simply can't.

Wednesday was his chance IMO and, while not absolutely woeful, he didn't do himself any favours in terms of 'control' that Pep would want from a 6. As soon as Newcastle came out the blocks flying in the second half, Rodri would've calmed everybody down and got us playing back to usual because that's his job in that role. Phillips didn't do it and teams will prey on that.

He'd be great in a double-pivot 6 (excuse the jargon) IMO but on his own? Nada.

If he doesn't start tomorrow then it's the final nail in his Pep coffin I reckon and could be a signal from Pep for him to actually look elsewhere in January. As we tried in Summer.

Nunes and Kovacic will start. I guess he might come on later if we are coasting

I think his primary concern is being close enough to Leeds to see his mum. Pep mentioned family reasons (having a child) as why he stayed after the game.

Reckon Everton or Burnley are the only realistic options in January because he can stay in the same house.
I know a member of his family and they said Kalvin wouldn't leave before giving it another shot to get in our first team. Kalvin could change his tune by January if first team game time is very limited.

I can't see Kalvin starting many games so he won't get match fit or gain a very thorough understanding of how the players play around him. The latter is particularly important as a defensive midfielder. He can help the team out when coming on as sub as shown against Forest, albeit it was in pretty rare circumstances. We could also pick up quite a few more injuries that would give him some more game time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.