Kazimierz Deyna

unsworthblue

just been talking to a very interesting geezer who obviously knew what he was on about.i had my brazil, Robinho/mcfc top on and we started talking all things city.we got onto the subject of mr deyna.he started telling me how he was a massive colin bell fan but that the best player he has ever seen in a city shirt was Kazimierz Deyna.i sadly never saw deyna play as i did'nt start going till 81.deyna was sold in january 81.he said that in those days the eastern block players where not allowed to leave there countries until they where 30 years of age.he told me how him and his friend waited after a game to try to speak to him.when he came out they asked hin how he liked english football.as deyna's english was as good as my polish he just pointed to the sky and started tutting as if to say that it was hoof it in the air football.anyway a few facts about the man....3rd in european footballer of the year 1974 behind beckenbaur and cruyff!...41 goals in 97 games for Poland.captained Poland in Argentina 78 world cup finals.debut for city nov 78,left jan 81.went to play for san diego sockers and died in san diego in 1989 driving his favourite BMW car.in 1994 the polish f.a chose him to be the greatest ever Polish footballer.his number 10 is retired by Legia Warsaw the club he made 390 appearances for scoring 141 goals. Kazimierz Deyna R.I.P

He had a great career in Poland. I remember when he came to City in the late 70's. Back in those days, it was rare to have foreign players and even more so when they came from the Eastern Bloc. Back then I might have seen the odd highlighted game on TV in America. There just wasnt much coverage in those days. I do remember reading all sorts of interviews in which Kaz was quoted saying the same basic thing i.e. that the Englsih game was basically table tennis. He was brilliantly skilled but he had a tough time adapting to the English style and, perhaps, a completely foreign culture.

took a mean free kick was quite skillful,scored some good goals.not sure he would hack it in todays premiership,but overall enjoyed watching him,dont forget we had dragoslav stepanovic

I remember meeting him and his interpreter once in a restaurant in Manchester whilst he was at the Club. I was really too young to appreciate his undeniable talent but he'll also go down in history as scoring one of the four goals for "us" in Escape to Victory !!

Played with him in San Diego (ironically, where I am today!) when he was with Sockers. Still silky smooth, even in 1986! To me, he was the Polish Colin Bell. Tall, moved effortlessly, and could do everything in the unhurried manner few players achieve. Time seemed to slow down when he was on the ball, but he could also leg it with the best of them. Excellent control and shot, too.

Thankfully, I got to see him play for City and play with and against him at the San Diego Sockers. Top class player!

He had lovely skills and touches but was a yard and a half to slow for the English game, lost his confidence and played more games for the reserves much to my annoyance,he was a sad loss.
Colin Bell was and still is the best player ever to wear a City shirt

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.